404 Error

John Barrett
Aloha,

Let me introduce myself. My name is John Barrett, but everybody calls me Johnny. You may know me from  if you were a flash developer in Honolulu area during the late 1990s until now. I have also ran many of Adobe’s User Groups:
- The Hawaii Flash User group
- The Hawaii Animate User Group
- Adobe AIR Developers Group

I have avoided javaScript like the plague! Been using ActionScript and ColdFusion only .js no way! However, ever the client I can talk into Flash no need as in less that 2 years there will be no plugin. However, I will also like coding once working everywhere. I have been watching royale and I am very impressed!

Would anybody associated with royale, or knows a lot about it.

On this page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+FDT

I get a 404 error is there a set up page for using  royale  with FDT?
Another question I have is  royale what came after FlexJS, or is that another project?

Re: 404 Error

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Johnny,

Welcome in the Royale project! :) I will start answering from the last question. W have separate FlexJS project from Apache Flex project into new one and decided along with that separation change name to Apache Royale. In the other words it is still the same project. Of course it's been couple of month since then so we evolve a lot :)

Answering to your second question. Apache Royale Team is mostly volunteers, so is just There were no volunteer who could notify FDT team about changes, so they probably didn't adjust FDT to the Royale. - Maybe you can raise the ticket for them ? :)

You have also two IDE which officially support Royale - recommend you to try them! [1]

Do not hesitate ask more question. Looking forward to help you! :)

[...]

Aloha Piotr,

I just downloaded VS Code with the AS 3/Flex extension I have heard some great things about this project on twitter so maybe worth trying. Also, I know all the dudes from the FDT team and have worked with them for years so maybe I can put something together and make a blog or something or do a write up and share it with the community. It’s just I have been working with the IDE since it came out. I think it was the first flash coding IDE, but not quite sure.

If anybody from the community would like to do a talk on Apache Royal I would love it, and if that could be this month I would be so stoked and would be a great birthday present for me too :)

Thanks so much for the quick response as I am sure that I will have many questions as I have always avoided javaScript so much, same thing with php I hate it so much, but don’t know why I have not looked at either language since the 90s who knows maybe they are good now??

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:24 PM, Piotr Zarzycki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yep VS Code is great! :) Encourage you to support Josh on Patreon! [1] With community support he can make plugin greater. In Moonshine we are also using his plugin so it's great!

Although 90% of my work is still ActionScript, I'm also working with TypeScript as backend. It's really great. You will feel like in AS or C# :)

[...]

Yeah I am just setting Visual Studio up now seems pretty straight forward. However, now that you tell me that Josh is behind it I think I will stay with it. I would be so stoked to help in any way. I mean really if I could help the guy behind featherUI only question is where do I sigh up?? I can’t think of too many people in Flash gaming that hasn’t used Startling, and all of them used feathersUI!

I haven't heard of Moonshine, is that a plugin? Will look into it. Sorry for all the question I am new too all this (I mainly am a Flash Guy AS 3, and a AIR guy for the last few) I heard about TypeScript I have some friends that use it, you use it like mid-wear(as I like to call it) like ColdFusion or Java to connect to the MySQL database for example. Okay, in Java you don’t need to but, …

Would be really cool if all that could feel like AS 3, as I love :)

Probably won’t sound strange here, but ever since I learnt AS 3 in 2009 that is all I wanted to code in 😳

Re: 404 Error

Piotr Zarzycki
Johnny,

Moonshine is just another IDE, maybe less script oriented - rather with UI where you can setup everything by clicking. In VSCode your setup more or less is with scripts - mostly JSON. Feel free to try and let us know on GitHub what do you think ;)

I think Patreon is the best place! Josh is writing there a lot about not only his plugin but feathers. It's worth to have access to that content! :)

Good Luck!

[...]

Thanks so much for all your help my friend! It’s late here in the islands, and I have been coding for hours, and I have to get to sleep, but don’t be surprised to hear from me tomorrow.

Have a great night :)

Re: 404 Error

Piotr Zarzycki
Take care Johnny! Looking forward to hear from you again here! This project need so positive people like you! :)

Thanks so much for all your help my friend! It’s late here in the islands, and I have been coding for hours, and I have to get to sleep, but don’t be surprised to hear from me tomorrow.

Have a great night :)

Re: 404 Error

Hi Johnny,

What kind of talk/presentation are you looking for?  I assume you aren't flying the speaker out to Hawaii ;-)
What time of day do you run these talks?  Is your audience oriented towards AIR desktop or AIR mobile apps?  Do they use Flex or Starling/Feathers?  Should the talk be oriented towards developing new apps or migrating existing apps?

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/piotrzarzycki

Re: 404 Error

John Barrett
Aloha Alex,

I am so sorry to get back to you you so late, I have been crazy busy on this Meteorology/Oceanography project (It’s what I went to school for actually) and I am finally done!

I Would love:

(1) A brief introduction on what Royal is(what it is and where did it come from and why)

(2) what IDE can you use and how you can set them up
a) basically everything needed to get started and get and get coding

(3) create a simple project

(4) Q& A

What do you think?

Re: 404 Error

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi John

hope I could help in some way and liberate a bit of Alex time

Most of this can be seen in our website, I'll copy some fragments from there to illustrate you:

Aloha Alex,

I am so sorry to get back to you you so late, I have been crazy busy on this Meteorology/Oceanography project (It’s what I went to school for actually) and I am finally done!

I Would love:

(1) A brief introduction on what Royal is(what it is and where did it come from and why)

Apache Royale™ is a highly productive open source application technology for building expressive frontend applications that outputs to different formats and deploys consistently on all major browsers, desktops and devices.

So for me is use AS3 and MXML as you did in Flex, but this time you can produce different outputs:
- HTML/JS/CSS
- SWF
- in the future more outputs like WebAssembly, Swift, Java/Android, etc...

This makes you use the same platform languages and IDEs, but as you'll have problems with what is the trending technology deployment since you can switch from HTML to SWF or whatever.

That needs to make Royale to implement the concrete platform. We're now focused on HTML and SWF, and maybe mainly HTML (with some SWF coverage)

(2) what IDE can you use and how you can set them up
a) basically everything needed to get started and get and get coding

See this

And check this as well:

(3) create a simple project

You should check examples folder in royale-asjs repository

(4) Q& A

You have lots to read! ;)

Let us know more when you have read this links

Happy Royaleing! :)))

What do you think?

Re: 404 Error

John Barrett
Sounds great! Out of the my user group user I hate to say are lazy and want to watch a movie with somebody to ask questions. An example the Hawaii Flash User Group became a class in coding actionscript AS3

If you could help out in any way, would be great, I wish I had the time, as I just took on another project yesterday, I am so exhausted I don’t even remember sleeping last night.