Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

we are in the process of encapsulate an existing Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR to overcome the #flash2020 problem with browsers.

In this transition, we found a problem with Adobe AIR in windows with a limit of two HTTP request to the same server. This seems due to Adobe AIR using WinlNet on Windows that has this 2 limit http request.

Seems we didn't saw this problem with Flex in browsers since those left behind this limit and allow this days 6 concurrent calls, but AIR, since used WinlNet, continues with the 2 concurrent call limit, that is a problem nowadays.

In the other hand don't find any reference to this problem on the internet, or some solution to apply in Adobe ARI, so maybe there's something I'm missing, since this problem should be found by many people trying to leverage existing Flex apps in AIR (or even creating others).

Must say this problem is seen with request that needs several time (due to some server processing) to complete and send a response.

If anyone know some way to overcome this will be of great help

Thanks in advance for your help

RE: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Frost, Andrew

Hi Carlos

This looks like it’s to do with http 1.1 .. see the final recommendations in 8.1.4 of RFC 2616 [1]

But you can hopefully override it using the windows registry (see [2])

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

MaxConnectionsPerServer can be set to a value higher than 2. I guess you’d need an ANE to manipulate the registry though..

I’m curious how you’re connecting .. is it via a URLLoader type object, rather than a Socket? I don’t think the same limitation would be there if you just used TCP/IP sockets so you could potentially get around things that way..?

[1] https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8.1.4

[2] http://webdebug.net/2013/01/wininet-connection-limit/

cheers

   Andrew

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Andrew,

thanks for the suggestions:

El lun., 17 dic. 2018 a las 14:25, Frost, Andrew (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi Carlos

This looks like it’s to do with http 1.1 .. see the final recommendations in 8.1.4 of RFC 2616 [1]

But you can hopefully override it using the windows registry (see [2])

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

MaxConnectionsPerServer can be set to a value higher than 2. I guess you’d need an ANE to manipulate the registry though..

I'm was thinking as well in an ANE, but was hoping that someone knows some other direct way from AIR to do this, since creating an ANE just for this is a bit cumbersome.

I’m curious how you’re connecting .. is it via a URLLoader type object, rather than a Socket? I don’t think the same limitation would be there if you just used TCP/IP sockets so you could potentially get around things that way..?

We are using RemoteObject/AMF call so I think we don't have AFAIK to use Sockets :(

Thanks for the links!

Carlos

cheers

   Andrew

RE: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Frost, Andrew

Hi

> We are using RemoteObject/AMF call so I think we don't have AFAIK to use Sockets :(

Ah okay .. do you have a choice of protocol when doing this? I’m not sure what the server side would support, but it looks like the “AMFChannel” class is defining protocol as “http”; if you could change that to “rtmp” then it would [I think] use a TCP socket rather than the Windows http functions..

My only other thought would be whether you could change the design of how the processing works so that it’s done more asynchronously i.e. one quick message from client to server to kick off the processing and then poll every second or so to see if it’s finished – but I’m not sure if that’s possible, I’ve not used remote objects or done the server side stuff…

Final option = a custom build of AIR, but that would be very expensive :-)

Good luck!

thanks

   Andrew

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Carlos Rovira-2
Many thanks for the suggestions Andrew!
We're doing some brainstorming and all those come very handy! :)

thanks! :)

El mar., 18 dic. 2018 a las 7:48, Frost, Andrew (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi

> We are using RemoteObject/AMF call so I think we don't have AFAIK to use Sockets :(

Ah okay .. do you have a choice of protocol when doing this? I’m not sure what the server side would support, but it looks like the “AMFChannel” class is defining protocol as “http”; if you could change that to “rtmp” then it would [I think] use a TCP socket rather than the Windows http functions..

My only other thought would be whether you could change the design of how the processing works so that it’s done more asynchronously i.e. one quick message from client to server to kick off the processing and then poll every second or so to see if it’s finished – but I’m not sure if that’s possible, I’ve not used remote objects or done the server side stuff…

Final option = a custom build of AIR, but that would be very expensive :-)

Good luck!

thanks

   Andrew

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Alex Harui-2

Two more ideas:

  1. Switch to Royale
  2. Didn’t Flex use custom HTTP code used in the Flex installer?  Maybe it will get around this limit, but I think it had other limits like proxy handling.

-Alex

From: Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 1:14 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Many thanks for the suggestions Andrew!

We're doing some brainstorming and all those come very handy! :)

thanks! :)

El mar., 18 dic. 2018 a las 7:48, Frost, Andrew (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi

> We are using RemoteObject/AMF call so I think we don't have AFAIK to use Sockets :(

Ah okay .. do you have a choice of protocol when doing this? I’m not sure what the server side would support, but it looks like the “AMFChannel” class is defining protocol as “http”; if you could change that to “rtmp” then it would [I think] use a TCP socket rather than the Windows http functions..

My only other thought would be whether you could change the design of how the processing works so that it’s done more asynchronously i.e. one quick message from client to server to kick off the processing and then poll every second or so to see if it’s finished – but I’m not sure if that’s possible, I’ve not used remote objects or done the server side stuff…

Final option = a custom build of AIR, but that would be very expensive :-)

Good luck!

thanks

   Andrew

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Alex

El mar., 18 dic. 2018 a las 18:58, Alex Harui (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Two more ideas:

  1. Switch to Royale

We are already switching to Royale ;), but that is a long term process while encapsulate with AIR is something we can provide in few weeks and will let us control de change without any pressure from Browsers vendors about #flash2020

  1. Didn’t Flex use custom HTTP code used in the Flex installer?  Maybe it will get around this limit, but I think it had other limits like proxy handling.

Don't know anything about this. Is very interesting. Could you provide more info about what you refer and/or some links so I can check it?

thanks!

From: Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 1:14 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

From: Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 1:14 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

From: Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 1:14 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Many thanks for the suggestions Andrew!

We're doing some brainstorming and all those come very handy! :)

thanks! :)

El mar., 18 dic. 2018 a las 7:48, Frost, Andrew (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi

> We are using RemoteObject/AMF call so I think we don't have AFAIK to use Sockets :(

Ah okay .. do you have a choice of protocol when doing this? I’m not sure what the server side would support, but it looks like the “AMFChannel” class is defining protocol as “http”; if you could change that to “rtmp” then it would [I think] use a TCP socket rather than the Windows http functions..

My only other thought would be whether you could change the design of how the processing works so that it’s done more asynchronously i.e. one quick message from client to server to kick off the processing and then poll every second or so to see if it’s finished – but I’m not sure if that’s possible, I’ve not used remote objects or done the server side stuff…

Final option = a custom build of AIR, but that would be very expensive :-)

Good luck!

thanks

   Andrew

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Carlos Rovira-2
Many thanks Piotr,
I'll check that class, it could be of help to fix this issue for now.

Carlos

From: Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 1:14 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Many thanks for the suggestions Andrew!

We're doing some brainstorming and all those come very handy! :)

thanks! :)

El mar., 18 dic. 2018 a las 7:48, Frost, Andrew (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi

> We are using RemoteObject/AMF call so I think we don't have AFAIK to use Sockets :(

Ah okay .. do you have a choice of protocol when doing this? I’m not sure what the server side would support, but it looks like the “AMFChannel” class is defining protocol as “http”; if you could change that to “rtmp” then it would [I think] use a TCP socket rather than the Windows http functions..

My only other thought would be whether you could change the design of how the processing works so that it’s done more asynchronously i.e. one quick message from client to server to kick off the processing and then poll every second or so to see if it’s finished – but I’m not sure if that’s possible, I’ve not used remote objects or done the server side stuff…

Final option = a custom build of AIR, but that would be very expensive :-)

Good luck!

thanks

   Andrew

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Olaf Krueger

interesting topic, good to know about it!

If I understand it correctly, the connection limit is related to the same
domain name.
Maybe one solution could be to outsource heavy server-side requests to
another server/domain?

If that doesn't work, is it not just a possibility to queue your requests?

Olaf

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Olaf,

yes the problem is doing http request to same server, we tried to some changes with subdomains and that works, but doesn't seem the best solution, but somewhat "hacking" ;)

we're investigating some paths to solve this. Since this affects our RemoteObject operations, our focus is in BlazeDS and ROs. So we're trying to find ways that is already supported by Flex and BlazeDS. So as you say, things like queuing could be an option, although I was expecting that others was affected with this problem before and some way to overcome with AIR in some official way...but seems it's not the case.

Anyway, I think we'll find some way finally that could fix our use case :)

Thanks for your suggestion :)

Carlos

El mié., 19 dic. 2018 a las 20:16, Olaf Krueger (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Carlos,

interesting topic, good to know about it!

If I understand it correctly, the connection limit is related to the same
domain name.
Maybe one solution could be to outsource heavy server-side requests to
another server/domain?

If that doesn't work, is it not just a possibility to queue your requests?

Olaf

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Piotr Zarzycki
Carlos,

Maybe try post problem on Flex users list.

Piotr

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 12:49 PM Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

just for the case if you end up to queue your requests:
There's a "PureMVC AsyncCommand utility" available which does something like
this [1]:

"The AsyncCommand utility offers a solution to the problem of executing a
series of commands each of which may need to complete one or more
asynchronous operations before the next command is executed."

I know you don't use PureMVC, but maybe it is helpful for some inspiration.

Olaf

[1]
https://github.com/PureMVC/puremvc-as3-util-asynccommand/wiki

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

thanks for the suggestions, our problem is that server process is very complex and calls lots of external services. All of that requires time.
It's clear that we need a refactor in server side.

I''ll be posting this on flex user list as Piotr says

thanks all for the support! :)

Carlos

El jue., 20 dic. 2018 a las 15:01, Olaf Krueger (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Carlos,
just for the case if you end up to queue your requests:
There's a "PureMVC AsyncCommand utility" available which does something like
this [1]:

"The AsyncCommand utility offers a solution to the problem of executing a
series of commands each of which may need to complete one or more
asynchronous operations before the next command is executed."

I know you don't use PureMVC, but maybe it is helpful for some inspiration.

Olaf

[1]
https://github.com/PureMVC/puremvc-as3-util-asynccommand/wiki

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

radu
Hello,

    Trying to figure out if Royale can log in to a existing BlazeDS server.
   Can somebody confirm the login works with Royale?
   I uploaded the project on git:

Thank you,
Rady

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 8:48 AM Frost, Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

> We are using RemoteObject/AMF call so I think we don't have AFAIK to use Sockets :(

Ah okay .. do you have a choice of protocol when doing this? I’m not sure what the server side would support, but it looks like the “AMFChannel” class is defining protocol as “http”; if you could change that to “rtmp” then it would [I think] use a TCP socket rather than the Windows http functions..

My only other thought would be whether you could change the design of how the processing works so that it’s done more asynchronously i.e. one quick message from client to server to kick off the processing and then poll every second or so to see if it’s finished – but I’m not sure if that’s possible, I’ve not used remote objects or done the server side stuff…

Final option = a custom build of AIR, but that would be very expensive :-)

Good luck!

thanks

   Andrew

Re: Apache Flex AIR Application problems with a limitation of two HTTP request on windows

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Radu,

we are working in a Royale real application that works against BlazeDS app server with RemoteObject and AMF. So yes that work.
But, this is not the topic of this thread, so better create another thread with the right topic if you need to talk about that.
thanks