Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Darrell Vermaak

Hi

I am struggling to get a basic Apache Royale app to communicate with zend-amf (PHP based amf server).

Does Apache Royale support zend-amf v1.11?

I am trying to connect to services that I created for Flex applications – however I am unable to receive data back from the zend-amf server. I seem to be missing something.

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Alex Harui-2

AMF is pretty new so there might be issues.  Have you read the recent past threads about AMF?  I think there is an issue with small messages.

Are you getting any errors on the server side?

Do you have a small test case we can debug (we would need to be able to run it against your server)?

RE: Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Darrell Vermaak

Hi Alex

Thanks for your response.

I have read the threads that I could find (I have been searching for a few days now).

The test case should return 81 rows. From what I can tell the server receives the request but then either amf returns an error or Apache Royale is having a problem with the returned data.

I think that the amf server is unable to process the request because I am not sending/using the correct information in my connection to the server.

The server is correctly configured as we use this server for ongoing Flex / PHP development. What I do not have is a file that translates the data types between PHP and Apache Royale (valueObjects). Adobe Flash builder which we use for Flex development has the Data/Services feature which creates the services for us in Flex – but I cant figure out what to do with this in Apache Royale. As a result I am just expecting to get a large String back from the server which can be converted into an ArrayCollection.

The test url is http://toacdev.peritus.co.za/VSCode/js-debug/index.html

I would be happy to send you the Apache Royale code and the PHP code.

Thanks for your assistance

Darrell

AMF is pretty new so there might be issues.  Have you read the recent past threads about AMF?  I think there is an issue with small messages.

Are you getting any errors on the server side?

Do you have a small test case we can debug (we would need to be able to run it against your server)?

Re: Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Alex Harui-2

Hi Darrell,

Is there any way for you to get more definitive information from the server as to whether the request was not understood and maybe what it sent back?  Maybe a log with IP and time and error?

I never really used the Data/Services feature in Flash Builder, but in the few times I debugged a test case that used it, I was under the impression that the end result was a set of data classes and I think some methods that wrapped RemoteObject calls.  But all of that should be in .as files and once you have them, I think you can use any build tools like Ant to build the project.  You shouldn’t actually need Flash Builder to build it.

So, assuming you have the .as files, they should compile in Royale.  I think we’d be interested in seeing if there are some other dependencies you need to compile cleanly.  But in the end, those data classes should have [RemoteClass] metadata and Royale should be able to handle that.  We would want the server to send the same AMF packet as it is more efficient over the wire.  I’m not even sure how to configure the server to send a large string instead.  I think there is an AMF/HTTP channel but I don’t think it is very efficient.

I’m have at least one other nasty bug to work on so hopefully some other volunteer will take a look at this, but if not I will get around to it after I clear these other tasks.

-Alex

AMF is pretty new so there might be issues.  Have you read the recent past threads about AMF?  I think there is an issue with small messages.

Are you getting any errors on the server side?

Do you have a small test case we can debug (we would need to be able to run it against your server)?

Re: Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Darrell,

I worked on AMF/RemoteObject feature along with Alex and solve some things for others coming. Actually others had success with the following kind of servers: BlazeDS, AMFPHP, ColdFusion, (and I think I left one more...)

This is the first time we get a request for ZendAMF so we need to see what's could be the problem, since it can be a bug or something in the config is not totally right.

First: About small messages. Please check if Zend uses this format. If so you need to turn off this config. Until now, FWIK, only BlazeDS has this feature and we bypass this problem (for now, until we implement small messages some day) turning this off.

About encoding/decoding. it would seem strange to me we have some problem in that part, since we try to transfer different objects with almost all kind of data nested and it worked, but it could be a possibility. As well Zend could be expecting something different. So, for this I recommend you take some tool to see the AMF packets (one I think works very well is Charles Proxy Server). So you can see what you are sending and see the response.

To help more from here, and taking into account we don't have zend amf experience, we'll need to work close with you to help get to the problem.  So the other things you can do is send here a simple service config you are using in your server and the code you are using in your Royale client to see if we can detect something strange and propose some change for you to try.

With all of this I think we finally should find where's the issue.

Thanks

From: Darrell Vermaak <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:43 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Hi

I am struggling to get a basic Apache Royale app to communicate with zend-amf (PHP based amf server).

Does Apache Royale support zend-amf v1.11?

I am trying to connect to services that I created for Flex applications – however I am unable to receive data back from the zend-amf server. I seem to be missing something.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Image removed by sender.

RE: Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Darrell Vermaak

Hi Carlos

Thanks for looking into this.

I have built a simple Flex application to do the exact same thing – I now want to compare the packets sent by the Flex app to the packets sent by the Apache Royale app to see if I can find the difference(s). I think something is missing in my Apache Royale app. In the developer tools of Chrome I can see that Zend Amf is complaining that Method “null” does not exist. I am trying to determine why Zend Amf thinks I am calling method null.

Let me dig a bit further on my side – any pointers would be appreciated in the mean time.

Many thanks

Regards

Darrell

AMF is pretty new so there might be issues.  Have you read the recent past threads about AMF?  I think there is an issue with small messages.

Are you getting any errors on the server side?

Do you have a small test case we can debug (we would need to be able to run it against your server)?

Re: Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Carlos Rovira-2
Ok Darrell,

for what you say it seems just a matter of fight with the config and check that all pieces in code are set up. I had to do the same when I started! ;)
For example I recommend as well to double check that you have set the ClassAlias bead, and check the code in the examples with have in our repo (both the client and the server, although the later is Java/BlazeDS, since it can give you some hint or idea)

Good luck, and we'll wait for your results! :)

Carlos

El jue., 20 sept. 2018 a las 10:53, Darrell Vermaak (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

[...]

Hi Carlos, Alex

After much digging I can see that the body of the POST from Apache Royale RemoteObject is very different to the body of the POST from Flex. Does this mean that Flex/PHP is not compliant with AMF? The headers only differ in the Accept details where Royale uses “*/*” while Flex uses “text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8,*/*”.

If I modify Zend’s php and hard code the operation,body,source to be the same as Flex then Royale is able to correctly handle the returned data as an Array of objects. This is very exciting as the POST should not be too much of a challenge?

I can send you the 2 pcap files or the 2 POSTs in a zip file if this will help.

I would really like to be able to use Royale as a replacement for Flex and be abe to use my backend data services as I migrate to Royale.

Please let me know what the next step is.

Regards

Darrell

AMF is pretty new so there might be issues.  Have you read the recent past threads about AMF?  I think there is an issue with small messages.

Are you getting any errors on the server side?

Do you have a small test case we can debug (we would need to be able to run it against your server)?

Re: Apache Royale App / Zend-Amf

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Darrel,

just to let others know, we are talking privately about this issue looking to sensible data.
We'll report here once we get to some conclusion.

El jue., 20 sept. 2018 a las 17:29, Darrell Vermaak (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

[...]

Piotr Zarzycki
Carlos,

Just let us summary later.