Cairngorm framework

T-san
Alex, thanks.

Appreciate to every one to respond to my question in this thread.
Our Flex application uses Cairngorm framework, which means Cairngorm.swc is included in lib.

I think it will not work without Flash.  Is there any solution to work Flex code that uses Cairngorm with Apache Royale?

Appreciate any advice in advance.

Re: Cairngorm framework

Alex Harui-2

It should be possible to emulate Cairngorm similar to how the MXRoyale and SparkRoyale components emulate the Flex MX and Spark components.  The source code appears to still be on SourceForge https://sourceforge.net/projects/cairngorm.adobe/

I don’t have time to work on emulating Cairngorm right now.  You could do it, or hire someone to do it.

Re: Cairngorm framework

Greg Dove
Fyi I recently ported a Cairngorm app to Royale replacing cairngorm with Apache Royale Crux (based on Swiz). That part was quite easy. That's another option to consider.

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 19:38 Alex Harui, <[hidden email]> wrote:

It should be possible to emulate Cairngorm similar to how the MXRoyale and SparkRoyale components emulate the Flex MX and Spark components.  The source code appears to still be on SourceForge https://sourceforge.net/projects/cairngorm.adobe/

I don’t have time to work on emulating Cairngorm right now.  You could do it, or hire someone to do it.

Re: Cairngorm framework

T-san
Alex and Greg, thanks.

I'd like to try Crux first.

Greg, several questions for CruxGitHubCommitLogViewer.

1. "model" is the same as Cairngorm's vo (value object)?
2. Is like ServiceLocator mxml required for Crux also?
3. When sending/receiving to/from application server using RemoteObject, how it is coded in Crux?
4. Is there any short introduction to migrate from Cairngorm to Crux?

Thanks.

From: Takeshita Shoichiro <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, October 11, 2019 at 10:39 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

--
Shoichiro Takeshita
武下 祥一郎

ウイルス フリー。 www.avast.com

Re: Cairngorm framework

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Takeshita,

I think you already get the link to Crux actual examples in our repo here [1]. For documentation, the official Swiz Framework doc for Flex should be of help here [2] while we create ours in Royale docs for Crux that should be very near to that one but considering the needs and changes for Royale.

[hidden email] since the Cairngorm command addition for Crux was added recently at later time, I think we don't have example code about how to use it. Can you post some example code here so we can know how to wire it in a normal Crux app? I think it will be of help for the rest of us.

El sáb., 12 oct. 2019 a las 9:54, Takeshita Shoichiro (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

That link appears to be the documentation.

This seems to be the actual framework, but all links on this project seem to be broken.

On Oct 12, 2019, at 9:38 AM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

It should be possible to emulate Cairngorm similar to how the MXRoyale and SparkRoyale components emulate the Flex MX and Spark components.  The source code appears to still be on SourceForgehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/cairngorm.adobe/

I don’t have time to work on emulating Cairngorm right now.  You could do it, or hire someone to do it.

Appreciate any advice in advance.

Re: Cairngorm framework

Greg Dove

Hi Takeshita,

1. "model" is the same as Cairngorm's vo (value object)?
Answer: Actually 'vo' seems more correct for that example. Those were done quite quickly and I guess I used a package structure as a template. I will change that example to use vo as the package name for those later this week, thanks for raising that.
That example was just a quick attempt to express another example elsewhere in the full set of examples in a way that worked for Crux. So yes, those are supposed to be value objects.

2. Is like ServiceLocator mxml required for Crux also?
Answer: The times I have used Crux, yes I set up a 'BeanProvider' that includes the services. The id used for each service can be used for injection (which is different to Cairngorm) but provides a way to 'locate' the service.

3. When sending/receiving to/from application server using RemoteObject, how it is coded in Crux?
Answer: With the recent work I ported, I was doing that inside the commands, with an implements ICommand, IResponder type approach (that wasn't using remoting specifically, but mx services in general).

you can inject the required service into the command (follow on from your question 2).
[Inject(source="myServiceId")] // the myServiceId corresponds to a service in the services 'BeanProvider'
public var service:HTTPService; //or RemoteObject

Use of the command pattern is not required though, and I am working on another app that has the beginnings of Crux integration without using Commands. it is pretty flexible.

4. Is there any short introduction to migrate from Cairngorm to Crux?
Answer: No, not yet. Unless someone else tried it in the last 6 weeks, I guess I am the only one to do this so far. I did it about 6-8 weeks ago for one client as part of a proof of concept (the goal was to get general business logic working and one or two view/UI components, the full app work will come later).
If I get time I will aim to create a guide for that. Or even better (from my perspective) if you want, I would be happy to provide you with full support to get things working with Crux if you would be happy to contribute a guide that will help others to get it working. I think guides are much better when they directly incorporate the perspective of someone who is approaching this for the first time. (I'm not making this a condition for my help, just suggesting it as an option, because we're keen to make it easy for more people to contribute to Royale).

A couple of things I can remember without going back to look at any specifics:
For Crux commands:

The execute method has no argument in Crux. In Cairngorm it has the event as the argument, iirc.
ICommand does not provide access to the event.
implement IEventAwareCommand if you want access to the event in the command.

Global Dispatcher access:
Because the Cairngorm code used a lot of singleton access, I cheated a bit and matched that for some of the code I was porting.
I created a DispatcherAccessor with singleton access which I can probably add to the Crux lib as a util class for this type of thing.
It is just used to inject the main dispatcher in during configuration, then it can be used elsewhere in a similar way to how the original Cairngorm code was accessing its global dispatcher. Or you can go full conversion and switch everything to use injection for dispatcher access, for example.

Note also that the support for processing of View components (the ability to inject into view components, run PostConstruct methods etc, requires the 'JSStageEvents' bead to simulate stage events. You can see that in the examples in the main app.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM Takeshita Shoichiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ウイルス フリー。 www.avast.com

Re: Cairngorm framework

For me there was a “Code” tab on the link I posted that took me right to the code.

Re: Cairngorm framework

Greg Dove

Hi Takeshita, Carlos suggested that I post a quick example of the type of config I am using for Crux. This includes use of Commands which is not in the Royale examples currently.

I think the easiest way to explain for commands (for now) is to refer to this[1]

Once you have your CommandMap set up, all that is required is to add it to the set of beanProviders in the top level Crux configuration, an example might look like this:

<!-- BeanProviders simply contain the non-display objects that Crux should process. -->
<cx:beanProviders>
    <!-- an imported beanProvider (mxml based subclass) -->
    <services:CruxServicesConfig id="cruxServicesConfig"/>
    <!-- an imported beanProvider (mxml based subclass) -->
    <control:CruxCommandConfig/>
    <!-- an imported beanProvider (mxml based subclass) -->
    <model:CruxModelConfig/>
    <!-- an inline beanProvider -->
    <cx:BeanProvider>
        <portingutils:CruxDispatcherAccessor/>
    </cx:BeanProvider>
</cx:beanProviders>

So in the above examples, the CruxServicesConfig , CruxCommandConfig and  CruxModelConfig  are simply mxml files with the BeanProvider tag as root tags.
If you need singleton access to them in a similar way that you use for Cairngorm that would be easy to add also for services and models. But it means importing those classes for all the usage sites (which I guess you had to do for cairngorm anyway, so that could be a viable option if you prefer). In most cases it's probably easier to switch to injection for the models and services.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 8:06 AM Greg Dove <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Takeshita,

[...]

ウイルス フリー。 www.avast.com

Re: Cairngorm framework

T-san
Greg, thanks for your further explanation.

The Flex application under the investigation of the migration contains 100+ mxml views and 40+ Service delegates (with commands, events, controllers, vos, and modelLocators).  The server side is a bit old Spring and needs to be migrated to the latest Spring MVC.  40+ Service classes with impl classes are in the server side.  This application is very stable and existing functions need to be kept as they are after migration. Therefore, the server side code will not be changed except for refactoring and very minor requests for change.

So far, I understand one of the keys to the migration success is on smooth transition of AS code using Cairngorm framework. I will study your way taking our Login code.  Can I have further questions?

1. Does Apache Royale contain almost the ready-to-use emulation code for Swiz?  Or do we need more work for Apache Royale SDK?
2. Is the use of Jewel required?  Or is it possible also with existing MXML code?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 3:06 AM Greg Dove <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Shoichiro Takeshita
武下 祥一郎

Re: Cairngorm framework

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Takeshita,

I'll try to answer your questions

El lun., 14 oct. 2019 a las 8:08, Takeshita Shoichiro (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

1. Does Apache Royale contain almost the ready-to-use emulation code for Swiz?  Or do we need more work for Apache Royale SDK?

Yes. Swiz is ported to Royale (not emulated) and called Crux. So Crux is ready to use for you right now. No more work are needed for Royale in that line unless you report some bug around it.

2. Is the use of Jewel required?  Or is it possible also with existing MXML code?

Jewel is not required. In Royale you are not tied to only one UI Set like in Flex. You have several ones to choose. You can use emulation components for MX/Spark, Basic, Jewel, MDL....

If you use MXRoyale, you'll get a near 0% code changes, but your application will look black/white unless you try to improve the look and feel.
In exchange, Jewel will requiere you to recode you visual code, what means in most cases very easy changes, but is not as direct as MXRoyale, in exchange you get a more good looking interface since Jewel is crafted with look and feel and themes in mind.

Re: Cairngorm framework

T-san
Carlos, thanks.

I am very glad to hear that.

Then, no hesitation to use Crux.

2019年10月14日(月) 16:43 Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Shoichiro Takeshita
武下 祥一郎

Re: Cairngorm framework

T-san
Alex, I have a question re Cairngorm emulation?

I think  I need to put the Cairngorm source in the Royale project src folder.  Then, what should I do?

Thanks for your advice.

2019年10月14日(月) 16:47 Takeshita Shoichiro <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Shoichiro Takeshita
武下 祥一郎

Re: Cairngorm framework

Alex Harui-2

Yes, if you want to emulate Cairngorm, get the source and build it with Flex so you know you have all of the pieces.

Then, back up the source in case you need to go back and start replacing the import flash.*.* with Royale imports.  For example:

  Import flash.events.EventDispatcher;

Would be replaced by

  Import org.apache.royale.events.EventDispatcher;

If you have a question about what class to use as a replacement, ask on [hidden email].  Then try to compile with Royale and see what kinds of errors you get.  If you don’t need the functionality in the code that has a compile error, one option is to comment it out.  For example, I just emulated WebService and commented out all of the flash.xml.XMLDocument support because I don’t think many people used it.

Good luck,

-Alex

武下 祥一郎

Re: Cairngorm framework

Greg Dove

Fwiw I did also look at Cairngorm before I ended up using Crux. iirc I think there might be some ADDED and REMOVED events for the views support that probably need to be addressed if you are using the views support.
Crux has a stage events emulator that does that for addedToStage/removedFromStage, but ADDED and REMOVED are more about child/parent changes than about 'stage' I think.

I used Crux mainly because I knew I could get it to work without any problems, and because I had other more critical issues to address (getting the Adobe rss syndication lib working, and in particular, the way it was being used in the app )

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 6:09 PM Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, if you want to emulate Cairngorm, get the source and build it with Flex so you know you have all of the pieces.

Then, back up the source in case you need to go back and start replacing the import flash.*.* with Royale imports.  For example:

  Import flash.events.EventDispatcher;

Would be replaced by

  Import org.apache.royale.events.EventDispatcher;

If you have a question about what class to use as a replacement, ask on [hidden email].  Then try to compile with Royale and see what kinds of errors you get.  If you don’t need the functionality in the code that has a compile error, one option is to comment it out.  For example, I just emulated WebService and commented out all of the flash.xml.XMLDocument support because I don’t think many people used it.

Good luck,

-Alex

武下 祥一郎

Shoichiro Takeshita
武下 祥一郎

Re: Cairngorm framework

Carlos Rovira-2
Takehista,

if you go for the emulation of Cairngorm, please, consider to donate it to the Royale. I'm sure others would want to use to migrate to.
Thanks