Did you migrate successfully? Tell.

Fred Ross-Perry
Hi everyone,

I am considering migrating a somewhat large and complex app from Flex/Flash/mx/as
using Royale. I want  to get my mind around the amount of time it might take.
So I am hoping to hear from some of you about what your actual experience was.
Apologies if this seems scattershot.

- how big is your app? lines of code, modules, libraries, that sort of thing
- how long did it take?
- were you using Flash (as opposed to Flex)? How did that go?
- Did you use MXRoyale? Did you find anything important missing?
- what tripped you up?
- what else should I have asked?

Things about our app:

- we use flase.external.ExternalInterface a lot.
- lots of drawing using flash.display.*, flash.geom.*, etc
- flash.events.* are used extensively
- server interaction uses flash.net.*

I appreciate any wisdom you can offer.
Fred Ross-Perry
San Rafael, CA

Re: Did you migrate successfully? Tell.

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Fred,

here's my experience migrating:

El sáb., 24 ago. 2019 a las 19:38, Fred Ross-Perry (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

- how big is your app? lines of code, modules, libraries, that sort of thing

It's a big Flex app with around with 40 projects (apron, 1 App, and then half of libraries and half modules)

- how long did it take?

We made 1 first phase of 4 months to migrate part of the app that could be of interest for our client and usable by their users, now we'll be starting a new phase soon as summer ends for the rest of functionality. I think less time would be impossible using other tech like React or Angular. We reused 70-80% of code.

- were you using Flash (as opposed to Flex)? How did that go?

We don't have Flash code all is Flex.

- Did you use MXRoyale? Did you find anything important missing?

No we use Jewel UI Set since we want to have the best of Flex (AMF/RemoteObject, MXML, AS3,...) but as well get the best of the modern development with new UI paradigms for tablets like Drawers, touch, Snackbars, TopAppBar, and more.

- what tripped you up?

As we did this effort many months ago, we need to work hard to fix many things in Royale that still was not ready for production and we're happy to add our sand grain to evolve this amazing technology and make it more production ready :)

- what else should I have asked?

Dificult to say, all of us comes with different needs and use cases, so the most important advice I can say to you is that don't look royale from the barrier and get involved. For sure you'll need our help to migrate, but as well you'll need eventually things that nobody still tried, so you need to embrace the idea that you'll need to do it yourself and contribute to the project, and eventually get committer access if you are good in your contributions and in the rules that implies to be part of an apache community like this. But expecting only use what others do is simple not realistic, in that case, my advice is to go other tech like React, Angular or any other.

Things about our app:

- we use flase.external.ExternalInterface a lot.

we have ExternalInterface, also you can integrate javascript using @externs

- lots of drawing using flash.display.*, flash.geom.*, etc

my app is form intensive and I still didn't go that route, but I'm sure there are ways to do drawing.

- flash.events.* are used extensively

here you have royale events....

- server interaction uses flash.net.*

We have AMF/RemoteObject done almost 100% working. We are using that extensively.

I appreciate any wisdom you can offer.

Good luck! And enjoy, Royale is an amazing and funny tech to use like was Flex 10-15 years ago :)

Fred Ross-Perry
San Rafael, CA