Emulation/Migration of Flex to Royale - Status?

Emulation/Migration of Flex to Royale - Status?

Nico Voss - QIAGEN

Hello,

I am evaluating the possibility of migrating a flex/flash app to Apache Royale in order to get it run in native browser environments.

I've read about Emulation Components, and I see there is already plenty of code in

https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/frameworks/projects/MXRoyale

Therefore I installed several nightly builds and successfully compiled significant parts of the app (after modifying and disabling some code). Yet, the browser page remains blank. Even the most simple MXRoyale example (Alert) doesn't show anything.

However I am able to get a few Jewel examples running, some of them partially.

Can someone please give me a glimpse of the current state of MXRoyale? I'm also considering to contribute, if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Nico Voss

Re: Emulation/Migration of Flex to Royale - Status?

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Nico,

Emulation components are in a huge development this days, that branch pursues first to get the MX/SPARK Flex code base compile without errors, that step seems mostly done and contributors are working through getting visuals. Alex Harui is working in getting Tour de Flex compiled with Apache Royale and few days ago posted this link with the first visual results:

that are very promising. I think we must wait a bit so that work will be merged into develop hopefully soon.

Regarding Jewel, that is the part where I'm working, I'm trying to upload every improvement as I get it done, so what you get in develop is the latest code I'm developing.

For MXRoyale, If you plan to contribute will be great to go faster, and I think you can team with Alex, Alina and others to get to it sooner.
Wait few days for Alex's coming back to talk about how to do it.

El lun., 20 ago. 2018 a las 20:07, Nico Voss - QIAGEN (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hello,

I am evaluating the possibility of migrating a flex/flash app to Apache Royale in order to get it run in native browser environments.

I've read about Emulation Components, and I see there is already plenty of code in

https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/frameworks/projects/MXRoyale

Therefore I installed several nightly builds and successfully compiled significant parts of the app (after modifying and disabling some code). Yet, the browser page remains blank. Even the most simple MXRoyale example (Alert) doesn't show anything.

However I am able to get a few Jewel examples running, some of them partially.

Can someone please give me a glimpse of the current state of MXRoyale? I'm also considering to contribute, if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Nico Voss

AW: Emulation/Migration of Flex to Royale - Status?

Nico Voss - QIAGEN

Hi Carlos,

thanks for the update. I am glad and thankful that so much progress was achieved.

Having even Tour de Flex examples so close to accomlishment is mind blowing.

However, the Tour de Flex examples from the link you provided are not working for me currently, except the main page. Clicking on any example causes my system to bloat and crash. Of course I didn't try every example because of that. But thats not the big issue.

As I already mentioned, I also can not get any of the emulation components working after installing various nightly builds locally. How do you guys develop Emulation Components without being able to see them currently?

At this moment I'm not able to show at least the tinyest bit of successful migration in order to convince decisionmakers, except "successful" compilation. I'd be glad if it turns out to be just my fault.

Thanks again,

Nico Voss

Re: Emulation/Migration of Flex to Royale - Status?

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Guys,

I think emulation components are in state where allow quite a bit of Flex copoonents being compiler to JS, but not neccassery displayed.

If you have your application compiled using emulation components - That's great because you just passed first step.

Next step is simply prepare those components in a way where they are displaying what you want. - There wasn't simply any volunteers who can do that.

Jewel visually looks great, so maybe that's the way we can go.

In my simple case would be - Take Emulation Button and Take Jewel Button - and see how to get best part in order to display something.

Or

Do not use at all Jewel, start stylizing on your own for your app purposes emulation components.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018, 5:14 PM radu birsan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alex Harui-2

Hi Nico,

First, make sure you are using the correct nightly build.  The emulation components are mainly in the feature/MXRoyale branch nightly build which is here:

http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/Royale-asjs_MXRoyale/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/

But as other’s have said, this is new development and there are likely to be bugs and missing features.  Apache projects are volunteer-driven so we are not only looking for people to try our code and report bugs, but also to help fix bugs and develop new features.

When your app comes up blank, try opening the browser console.  There is usually an exception there that can give a clue as to what is wrong.  It could be the compiler generating the wrong JS, it could be a bug in the components.  Please report stack traces and exceptions and even better if you can find out what is wrong and create a pull request with a fix.

Apache Royale is different from Adobe Flex.  Adobe is not creating a business around migrating Flex apps.  Adobe is generously donating my time.  But I think it will help greatly to see an active and growing set of volunteers contributing to Royale to encourage Adobe to continue to donate my time.

Re: Emulation/Migration of Flex to Royale - Status?

choirul anam
Greetings,

Same problem for me.
Trying to explore the provided link.

What i can see when click the node is javascript error shown in web console.

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t62/node_was_not_found.png>

Hope you all there can fix this problem.
I have many flex app need to migrate to.

Regards.

Re: Emulation/Migration of Flex to Royale - Status?

The emulation of Flex continues to be a work in progress.  More volunteers are always welcome.

After seeing your email I found that the compiler was not putting the examples in the correct place in Windows.  I think I've fixed that and more of the examples should show up after everything gets synced up (probably 4 hours from now).  At one point in time, the examples under "MX Framework Components" -> "Visual Components" -> "General Controls" were somewhat operational.  Volunteers are needed to work on the rest.  I'm trying to get a bunch of Chart examples to work.

    <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2Ffile%2Ft62%2Fnode_was_not_found.png&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cfdb3b80cf46b4217555b08d6349c8122%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636754244144693704&amp;sdata=XTB840eQ9748HooueGnAonRiT7ihrUmSi%2Bc1cfkjMRY%3D&amp;reserved=0>

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cfdb3b80cf46b4217555b08d6349c8122%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636754244144693704&amp;sdata=mF3l97e%2Ft4Gnh5BZqsrLH1UiWpMEJeBzB7PJixG5tUY%3D&amp;reserved=0