Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

coxfrederic
Hi guys,

Finally you have my full attention :-) I am spending the remainder of this week (at least) to evaluate using Apache Royale for our company's apps. I'm evaluating wether it is a good course to convert our existing flex apps (which currently target Mac OSX, Windows and iOS using Adobe AIR).

I have a couple of early questions after installing VSCode and Josh's AS/MXML extension.

Our apps are pretty complex, using things like:

* Modules (one application uses ModuleLoader quite heavily)
* Accessing user's hard disk to manipulate files
* AMFPHP for communication with PHP backend
* NativeProcess API to convert images using a compiled version of ImageMagick (so accessing .exe files and mac executable scripts)
* NativeExtensions

Can this all be used with ApacheRoyale?

Thanks for the information, I'm going to experiment with the examples and try to convert some parts of apps to see where this is going.

Best regards,

Fréderic

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Frederic,
great to see you trying Royale at last :)

El mié., 26 sept. 2018 a las 11:31, Fréderic Cox (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi guys,

Finally you have my full attention :-) I am spending the remainder of this week (at least) to evaluate using Apache Royale for our company's apps. I'm evaluating wether it is a good course to convert our existing flex apps (which currently target Mac OSX, Windows and iOS using Adobe AIR).

I think Windows/Mac is pretty easy. For Adobe AIR, clearly is a option, but I think another, I already didn't test, is Apache Cordova, since there's already projects in examples folder. I still want to try that scenario. So I think all of that is solved.

I have a couple of early questions after installing VSCode and Josh's AS/MXML extension.

Our apps are pretty complex, using things like:

* Modules (one application uses ModuleLoader quite heavily)

I'll need modules as well, and we have now modules ready to use in Apache Royale, although I remember that wasn't able to unload (Alex could correct me if I'm wrong). Although I think is just a matter to give that feature more love :). I think what we have is sufficient to start.

* Accessing user's hard disk to manipulate files

That's AIR/Cordova...so I think that's solved in that part.

* AMFPHP for communication with PHP backend

I think we already have people using AMFPHP, if not correct me.
I'm thinking as well that we could have a simple example working in our website if we could host PHP support...it could be great so we can create blog example about AMF.

* NativeProcess API to convert images using a compiled version of ImageMagick (so accessing .exe files and mac executable scripts)
* NativeExtensions

this two are as well Adobe AIR not Royale

Can this all be used with ApacheRoyale?

I never tried AIR with Royale, but I assume that is possible since AIR is Flash and HTML engine from the start and Royale supports both, maybe others could give some word of experience on this.

Thanks for the information, I'm going to experiment with the examples and try to convert some parts of apps to see where this is going.

ok, just one word. My vision with people joining is that although Apache Royale is very usable nowadays, we are still a 0.9.x version and although is near completion the fact is that still is not 100% complete, I'm sure you'll find always some black points, but hopefully you'll can get help from us, but as well we expect from you to try to solve things and send us Pull Request (PRs) to fix things. From my experience, latest months, I think is unrealistic to start with Apache Royale and expect all is done for you to use, I think that hardly could be the situation, so having in mind that you'll need help, and will need to fix things yourself, is the right state of mind from my point of view from something coming to Royale.

Hope you enjoy the journey and wish good luck with Apache Royale, and expect see you here many times! :)

Carlos

Best regards,

Fréderic

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

I wrote some classes which emulate the File classes using node.js.

I can try to make them available in.a few weeks.

On Sep 26, 2018, at 12:31 PM, Fréderic Cox <[hidden email]> wrote:

* Accessing user's hard disk to manipulate files

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Hi Fréderic,

Just so I’m clear, are all of your apps AIR apps and not browser apps?  If so, and you want to get away from AIR, then you will have to decide on how to run the resulting JS.  Royale has support for Cordova and Node.  I haven’t done much with Node, so not sure how much graphical UI you could do there.  I think you can also use Chromium Embedded as well.

You will need to pick your runtime environment first.  I will assume the Browser is not one of your choices, but there may be a way to use it, I don’t know.  I’m not sure there is a 100% equivalent to AIR.  I think you’ll always have to trade-off some feature or build missing capabilities.

Regarding Native Extensions:  I believe each runtime environment has a way to call native code.  So, your Native Extensions probably can’t be used as-is, but the code that actually does the work can probably be re-used to some extent.  For example, if you chose Cordova, you can probably make a Cordova plugin using some of that Native Extension code.

I think each runtime environment also has a way to launch other apps and access files.  Cordova has a File plugin and we have some examples that use it.  A volunteer could make a more Flex-like wrapper for it.

AMF works in lots of places but there are probably still bugs.  I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t eventually work for your app.

TourDeFlex uses modules.  It can load modules now.  Royale does not support unloading modules because the runtime environments don’t make it easy to remove loaded code.  As I get more of TourDeFlex working and other people get their apps working we will get a better idea of how important “stuck code” is.  Unloading the instances of objects created by module code will likely be far more important, and that cleanup generally needs to be done whether the code unloads or not.   Also, because Royale doesn’t currently support embedding, the size of the loaded module may not be as significant.

There hasn’t been a lot of attention paid to Royale outside of the browser, so expect to run into more issues, but we do have intentions of getting it all to work.  We expect you and other volunteers to contribute to making it work by contributing code and patches.  If you do enough of that, you will probably be granted committer status, and then you have much more control over Royale in the long term.

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

coxfrederic
Hi Alex,

I'm trying to go look into a path to get away from Flex rather than AIR. Most of my apps are desktop based, and the ones that are browser based we are loading into an AIR container (directly loading the SWF) anyway.

So I guess I can use royale and then load the resulting JS into a webview in AIR? That way I can still use native extensions?

I spent some time trying Apache Royale today but it will take me many more days before I really get used and experienced in it but I'll try to help where I can. Lot's of stuff to learn about it first but it looks really promising.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:09 PM Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Alex Harui-2

Hi Fréderic,

That’s interesting. What is it about Flex that you want to get away from?

I suppose you can load the JS into a webview, but I think you might need some more glue to have the JS access the Native Extension.  But I think that you can write such glue.  Not sure how efficient it will be.

-Alex

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

coxfrederic
Hi Alex,

Two main reasons:

1) Being able to have the source compile to JS, since that is what everyone is doing lately :-) I don't want to exclude my source code from future projects by not using JS

2) Flex is more "bloated" than Royale (PAYG), so I think in the long term it will be better to have more performant code.

Correct me if I'm wrong :-)

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:01 PM Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Fréderic,

That’s interesting. What is it about Flex that you want to get away from?

I suppose you can load the JS into a webview, but I think you might need some more glue to have the JS access the Native Extension.  But I think that you can write such glue.  Not sure how efficient it will be.

-Alex

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Alex Harui-2

Hi Fréderic,

I understand you now.  Royale should be a good choice as it can be thought of exactly as you are thinking of it:  a lighterweight Flex-like SDK that can output to JS.

I thought that you were trying to get away from MXML and ActionScript as well.  I think there are so many advantages to working with a structured language.

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

coxfrederic
Hi Alex,

Correct, I'm not going away from MXML nor Actionscript at all because I know about the advantages and workflows I love so much. The reality here is that we don't find a lot of AS3 developers anymore though, that is a small concern I have at the moment. :)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 3:00 AM Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Fréderic,

I understand you now.  Royale should be a good choice as it can be thought of exactly as you are thinking of it:  a lighterweight Flex-like SDK that can output to JS.

I thought that you were trying to get away from MXML and ActionScript as well.  I think there are so many advantages to working with a structured language.

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Frederic,

I was thinking about that problem. What if Royale will be so good that you could go opposite. Employ someone who know JS, but learn him AS and all the workflow. Wondering if it will be possible some day. :)

czw., 27 wrz 2018 o 12:53 Fréderic Cox <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
Hi Alex,

Correct, I'm not going away from MXML nor Actionscript at all because I know about the advantages and workflows I love so much. The reality here is that we don't find a lot of AS3 developers anymore though, that is a small concern I have at the moment. :)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 3:00 AM Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Fréderic,

I understand you now.  Royale should be a good choice as it can be thought of exactly as you are thinking of it:  a lighterweight Flex-like SDK that can output to JS.

I thought that you were trying to get away from MXML and ActionScript as well.  I think there are so many advantages to working with a structured language.

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

in our case that we use Java in our back end, and could be around 70% of the work, compared to other 30% with AS3/MXML, we use to search for Java develepers. Nowadays, s almost imposible get AS3 people, but those that speak Java fluently can learn AS3/MXML easily.

In the other hand, at some time we should try to bring TypeScript to Royale. TS is the client language that companies are adopting, so make TS live in parallel to AS3 would be a great strategic movement for Apache Royale. The only problem here is to have people interested in making that possible and with the time to contribute that.

I'm not talking about remove AS3 in favor of TS, My point is to bring the possibility to make Royale developers to write a class in AS3, in MXML (as they do now) and as well in TS. So We can mix .as , .mxml files and .ts files in the same project.

That would be great

Carlos

El jue., 27 sept. 2018 a las 13:40, radu birsan (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

OmPrakash Muppirala-2
I have started building desktop apps with Electron.  Electron is based on Node.js, so theoretically Royale can be made to export to Electron.
Visual Studio Code, Slack are a couple of examples of desktop apps built with Electron.

Thanks,
Om