Flex to Royale Migration

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Flex to Royale Migration

Subash Kunjupillai
Hi,

We have a medium sized project using Apache Flex, now we want to move out of
Flash as browsers are not going to support Flash after 2020.

I'm planning to start my PoC to find the possibility of migrating the
existing Flash project to Apache Royale. But by going through the   Royale
docs
<https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/create-an-application/migrate-an-existing-app/migrate-from-flex.html>
, I'm not sure whether the existing project can be migrated to Apache Royale
with minimal effort (we were thinking of effort like 8-12weeks to migrate).

Can someone please clarify me on the below points

* As per my understanding, AS3 will be converted to JS and MXML to HTML by
Royale. Correct me if I'm wong?
* In such case, linking JS to corresponding HTML will be automatically done
by Royale?
* I hope I can maintain AS and MXML in my codebase and during compilation I
can include maven plugin to convert them to JS and HTML, please correct me
if I'm wrong.
* I have seen in docs that Royale alternative for MX, SPARK and FLASH should
be done manually. Can you please share the list of API mappings if any
available. Because I need to know that all API used in our project has some
alternative.




-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Harbs

>
> Can someone please clarify me on the below points
>
> * As per my understanding, AS3 will be converted to JS and MXML to HTML by
> Royale. Correct me if I'm wong?

The AS3 is converted to JS. The HTML is built dynamically. There is an HTML file which loads the JS which is generated automatically.

> * In such case, linking JS to corresponding HTML will be automatically done
> by Royale?

See above.

> * I hope I can maintain AS and MXML in my codebase and during compilation I
> can include maven plugin to convert them to JS and HTML, please correct me
> if I'm wrong.

Yes.

> * I have seen in docs that Royale alternative for MX, SPARK and FLASH should
> be done manually. Can you please share the list of API mappings if any
> available. Because I need to know that all API used in our project has some
> alternative.

There are some new “emulation” components that might help. It’s possible to generate a list of APIs you currently use which helps in migration.

Harbs

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Subash Kunjupillai
Gabe Harbs wrote
> There are some new “emulation” components that might help. It’s possible
> to generate a list of APIs you currently use which helps in migration.

That sounds great, is it available in 0.9.2 version of Apache Royale? Can
you please share some link on how to use it.



-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Subash,

emulation is not in 0.9.2
You can get it downloading a nightly build or vía git repository building yourself.

Best

Carlos


2018-07-16 16:08 GMT+02:00 Subash Kunjupillai <[hidden email]>:
Gabe Harbs wrote
> There are some new “emulation” components that might help. It’s possible
> to generate a list of APIs you currently use which helps in migration.

That sounds great, is it available in 0.9.2 version of Apache Royale? Can
you please share some link on how to use it.



-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/



--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Alex Harui-2

The latest nightly build with the latest emulation components is available here:

 

http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/Royale-asjs_MXRoyale/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/

 

HTH,

-Alex

 

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2018 at 9:07 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Flex to Royale Migration

 

Hi Subash,

 

emulation is not in 0.9.2

You can get it downloading a nightly build or vía git repository building yourself.

 

Best

 

Carlos

 

 

2018-07-16 16:08 GMT+02:00 Subash Kunjupillai <[hidden email]>:

Gabe Harbs wrote
> There are some new “emulation” components that might help. It’s possible
> to generate a list of APIs you currently use which helps in migration.

That sounds great, is it available in 0.9.2 version of Apache Royale? Can
you please share some link on how to use it.




-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/



 

--

Carlos Rovira

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Andrew Wetmore
Subash also asks for use instructions. Do we have those? I have been saving the conversation thread among Royale contributors about this, but I have not distilled it into anything that would be suitable for the wiki or, even better, the help docs yet. If sufficient information is in that thread I can write something up, but it would be better if a knowledgeable person blurted something out that I can tidy up.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

The latest nightly build with the latest emulation components is available here:

 

http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/Royale-asjs_MXRoyale/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/

 

HTH,

-Alex

 

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2018 at 9:07 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Flex to Royale Migration

 

Hi Subash,

 

emulation is not in 0.9.2

You can get it downloading a nightly build or vía git repository building yourself.

 

Best

 

Carlos

 

 

2018-07-16 16:08 GMT+02:00 Subash Kunjupillai <[hidden email]>:

Gabe Harbs wrote
> There are some new “emulation” components that might help. It’s possible
> to generate a list of APIs you currently use which helps in migration.

That sounds great, is it available in 0.9.2 version of Apache Royale? Can
you please share some link on how to use it.




-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/



 

--

Carlos Rovira

 




--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Subash Kunjupillai
Thanks all for sharing the build details.

Yes Andrew, a document on this would help me a lot as I'm very new for
Royale.



-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Alex Harui-2
Hi Subash,

First step is to generate an api-report so we can see what Flex and third-party features your app used.  See instructions here:
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Generating-an-API-Report

The next step is to replace all of your MX and Spark namespaces URIs in your MXML files:
Replace:  xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
With:  xmlns:mx="library://ns.apache.org/royale/mx"

And

Replace:  xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
With:  xmlns:s="library://ns.apache.org/royale/spark"

Then try using the Royale compilers in the js/bin folder to compile your app.
You will get a bunch of errors if emulations don't exist and either need to be created or in cases of using low-level Flash APIs, you may need to replace that code with something else.

Once the errors are all resolved, you can try running the app.  Currently only parts of a few emulation components work.  We are seeking volunteers to help make more of the components work.

HTH,
-Alex


On 7/16/18, 8:41 PM, "Subash Kunjupillai" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Thanks all for sharing the build details.
   
    Yes Andrew, a document on this would help me a lot as I'm very new for
    Royale.
   
   
   
    -----
    Regards,
    Subash Kunjupillai
    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C99a50ea1c70947fd24d908d5eb9725ff%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636673956766979408&amp;sdata=da7JI4uxoEiwHNSWph8MuH1MzPLsEZu6h8gv8xKDCQ8%3D&amp;reserved=0
   

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Subash Kunjupillai

> First step is to generate an api-report so we can see what Flex and
> third-party features your app used.  See instructions here:
> https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Generating-an-API-Report

Hi Alex,

I was able to generate the api report using the link shared.

It would be of great help if some one can go through this api report and
share your thoughts from migration aspect.

API-Report
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxnvqjdqfr8oy0g/final_api_report_consolidated.log?dl=0>  



-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Alex Harui-2
Hi Subash,

Does you have your own libraries?  IOW, .swc files you create from your own source via the COMPC compiler?  If so, you will need to generate API Reports for those libraries as well in order to get a full set of used APIs.

-Alex

On 7/18/18, 4:08 AM, "Subash Kunjupillai" <[hidden email]> wrote:

   
    > First step is to generate an api-report so we can see what Flex and
    > third-party features your app used.  See instructions here:
    > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Froyale-asjs%2Fwiki%2FGenerating-an-API-Report&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C18395d0b4e124fa3e1b308d5ec9ecffa%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636675089192430907&amp;sdata=lndyz3eaBFkADk5TGvlzbuOLiu4vgc2Tg%2B7DUX63WbY%3D&amp;reserved=0
   
    Hi Alex,
   
    I was able to generate the api report using the link shared.
   
    It would be of great help if some one can go through this api report and
    share your thoughts from migration aspect.
   
    API-Report
    <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Fpxnvqjdqfr8oy0g%2Ffinal_api_report_consolidated.log%3Fdl%3D0&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C18395d0b4e124fa3e1b308d5ec9ecffa%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636675089192430907&amp;sdata=EN%2BNDVuNtLWNLkWfffxy3%2FV2AobK0w3N3O6jyuFGrlE%3D&amp;reserved=0>  
   
   
   
    -----
    Regards,
    Subash Kunjupillai
    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C18395d0b4e124fa3e1b308d5ec9ecffa%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636675089192430907&amp;sdata=fn%2FS9LGUm2t1kFsP7ppTYTArky0K83KQuJXrhrnfk14%3D&amp;reserved=0
   

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Subash Kunjupillai

> Does you have your own libraries?  IOW, .swc files you create from your
> own source via the COMPC compiler?  If so, you will need to generate API
> Reports for those libraries as well in order to get a full set of used
> APIs.

Hi Alex,

Yes, we have swc libraries created from our own source. Can you please share
the step on how to generate report from .swc library files?




-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Alex Harui-2
Hi Subash,

You should be able to use the same technique but for COMPC instead of MXMLC.

HTH,
-Alex

On 7/19/18, 3:03 AM, "Subash Kunjupillai" <[hidden email]> wrote:

   
    > Does you have your own libraries?  IOW, .swc files you create from your
    > own source via the COMPC compiler?  If so, you will need to generate API
    > Reports for those libraries as well in order to get a full set of used
    > APIs.
   
    Hi Alex,
   
    Yes, we have swc libraries created from our own source. Can you please share
    the step on how to generate report from .swc library files?
   
   
   
   
    -----
    Regards,
    Subash Kunjupillai
    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cec5fc12f5cf34b87e2ef08d5ed5edc9b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636675914035813608&amp;sdata=mZDUAYL709XVnRQjOQoAD8bleREc9XXxhvK2gYNf00Q%3D&amp;reserved=0
   

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Subash Kunjupillai
Hi Alex,

It is not working for me, as it is giving out a message that "nothing was
specified to be included in the library."

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t51/COMPC.jpg>

Can you please check the screenshot and let me know where I'm going wrong.



-----
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/
Regards,
Subash Kunjupillai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flex to Royale Migration

Alex Harui-2
Hi Subash,

First step is to figure out how to compile it from the command-line with the Flex COMPC.  You will probably have to specify a -config.xml file or use the -include-sources or -include-classes compiler options.  See the Flex COMPC documentation.

Then once you know the parameters, you should use those same parameters with the Royale compiler and add other parameters as instructed in the API Report doc.

HTH,
-Alex

On 7/19/18, 8:57 PM, "Subash Kunjupillai" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Alex,
   
    It is not working for me, as it is giving out a message that "nothing was
    specified to be included in the library."
   
    <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2Ffile%2Ft51%2FCOMPC.jpg&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C526c6de81e6d4c4e1bf408d5edf4fabb%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636676558790604031&amp;sdata=zJzsdgmHOx9%2Fex0Yu7cQSxT4vGDDhULhTc8txsetev8%3D&amp;reserved=0>
   
    Can you please check the screenshot and let me know where I'm going wrong.
   
   
   
    -----
    Regards,
    Subash Kunjupillai
    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C526c6de81e6d4c4e1bf408d5edf4fabb%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636676558790604031&amp;sdata=PNFvLCOsG5BKYBrtrkVAQJxztWl1yPqIp%2BdEDNYarBs%3D&amp;reserved=0