Graphing

Bilbosax
I'm hoping to include a lot of business intelligence on my website and in my
web app, so I will be generating a lot of reports from the data in my
database, both tabular and graphical.  Does Royale offer any graphing
capabilities at all.  I believe that Flex did, but I haven't looked into
Royale yet.

What are the current graphing capabilities of Royale?

Re: Graphing

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Bill,

Are you talking about charts? If yes I’m using with good results in my Royale app Apache Charts.

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 04:40, Bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm hoping to include a lot of business intelligence on my website and in my
web app, so I will be generating a lot of reports from the data in my
database, both tabular and graphical.  Does Royale offer any graphing
capabilities at all.  I believe that Flex did, but I haven't looked into
Royale yet.

What are the current graphing capabilities of Royale?

Re: Graphing

Bilbosax
Yes. Charting is exactly what I am talking about. I can't seem to find any
Royale examples. Are these mx or spark emulations  that I can look back to
older flex documentation to learn?

Re: Graphing

Piotr Zarzycki
I believe Maria can help to provide you more information. She has examples outhere somewhere. I hope she respond here soon. :)

I'm using ECharts in a different way a bit in Royale.

wt., 16 lut 2021 o 11:52 Bilbosax <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
Yes. Charting is exactly what I am talking about. I can't seem to find any
Royale examples. Are these mx or spark emulations  that I can look back to
older flex documentation to learn?

Re: Graphing

There are many js Chart libraries out there that are amazing. One is ECharts, but I discover one that I like even more and is called D3.JS [1]. ECharts put standard charts easy to use on Royale, but D3.JS allows to use SVG to paint data graphs of any kind in a very cool low level way. So you can paint almost what you want.

I think it could be very cool to create a D3.JS Royale library, but I have no time currently to do so... I'm planning a Royale project that will use graphs extensively and maybe could be a good time for this.

I recently used d3js in our new site here [2], if you want to see it in action.

HTH

[2] https://codeoscopic.com/en/ (near the end of the page content) or https://codeoscopic.com/en/investors/ (at the start)

El mar, 16 feb 2021 a las 12:14, Piotr Zarzycki (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
I believe Maria can help to provide you more information. She has examples outhere somewhere. I hope she respond here soon. :)

I'm using ECharts in a different way a bit in Royale.

wt., 16 lut 2021 o 11:52 Bilbosax <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
Yes. Charting is exactly what I am talking about. I can't seem to find any
Royale examples. Are these mx or spark emulations  that I can look back to
older flex documentation to learn?

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

RE: Graphing

hiedra

@Bilbosax, like Piotr, we use Echarts [1].

If you want, you can see a small presentation I made for ApacheCon [2] that is unfinished, but it sure gives you an idea of whether or not you can use ECharts.

For now, I have made a small library for royale that exposes a couple of controls that will surely simplify their implementation in mxml [3] (There is the library project and an example)

[1] https://echarts.apache.org/en/index.html

[2] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1z39GkEctOd5BB0BbgX7yKm3CJI_vbR0va6_s8-bjMC4/edit?usp=sharing

[3] https://github.com/mjesteve/Royale-ECharts.git

I hope this information will help you. Tell me how you see it and if I can answer any questions I will be happy to help.

Version 5.0 has recently come out and they have improved a few things… it's really cool.

Hiedra.

RE: Graphing

hiedra

@Bilbosax, how much data will you need to handle?

The way I see it, SVG charts like D3.js are great for flexibility and customization, but they aren't as effective for real-time and big data. Echarts takes the complexity out of customizing canvas graphics based on Echarts' incredibly powerful and flexible APIs, which have provided almost every customization you can imagine.

Echarts can also use an SVG canvas.

Hiedra.

RE: Graphing

Bilbosax
Well, I guess that depends on how you define big data.  I will be using PHP
to analyze my database and to provide business intelligence reports on the
state of my business market.  I want to use charting as well as tables to
present the data to my users.  When all is said and done, I will want to
have about 15 charts regenerated daily in about 500 markets.  Right now, I
only have one market ;) So it is a lot of total information, but not
necessarily big data.  But I would like a very elegant way to present the
data.  From what I have seen so far, echarts looks like an excellent option.
I am looking forward to seeing how hard it will be to implement in Royale.
I know there aren't a lot of tutorials or documentation available yet.