Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

12

Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
How do you set the layout for a list in actionscript?  Specifically, how do
you set a List to a horizontal layout??

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Bill,

here's an example from TDJ:

<j:List localId="alist" width="400">
<j:beads>
<j:HorizontalLayout itemsExpand="true" />
</j:beads>
<js:ArrayList source="[Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye]" />
</j:List>

El jue, 25 feb 2021 a las 1:44, Bilbosax (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
How do you set the layout for a list in actionscript?  Specifically, how do
you set a List to a horizontal layout??

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Carlos Rovira-2
Bill,

I think you want to do in AS3.

that will be:

var hl:HorizontalLayout = new HorizontalLayout();
list.addBead(hl);

HTH

El jue, 25 feb 2021 a las 20:36, Carlos Rovira (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Bill,

here's an example from TDJ:

<j:List localId="alist" width="400">
<j:beads>
<j:HorizontalLayout itemsExpand="true" />
</j:beads>
<js:ArrayList source="[Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye]" />
</j:List>

El jue, 25 feb 2021 a las 1:44, Bilbosax (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
How do you set the layout for a list in actionscript?  Specifically, how do
you set a List to a horizontal layout??

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
This post was updated on .
You have a page that is incomplete on Strand Management for adding and removing beads here:
https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/features/strands-and-beads

I'm having trouble changing the layout of a list using actionscript on the
fly.  For instance, if I want to change the layout from a horizontal layout
to a tile layout in actionscript, this is not working:

var hl:HorizontalLayout = new HorizontalLayout();
imageList.removeBead(hl);
var tile:TileLayout = new TileLayout();
imageList.addBead(tile);

<j:List localId="imageList" className="imageListItemRenderer"
click="preparePhotos(event)">
    <j:beads>
        <j:HorizontalLayout/>
    </j:beads>
</j:List>

Any suggestions?

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Bill,

first, there's no TileLayout in Jewel. There's "TileHorizontalLayout" and "TileVerticalLayout", and the second has some little flaws due to browser bugs depending on the browser and version used. So better to use the first when possible.

second not always is needed to remove the old layout bead in this case you can do just the following code (but this made me think in implement some kind of bead to tear down the old one when a developer plans to switch layouts at runtime):

var tile:TileHorizontalLayout = new TileHorizontalLayout();
tile.horizontalGap = 6;
tile.columnWidth = 100;
tile.requestedColumnCount = 3;
list.addBead(tile);

// this is needed for now as a workaround
list.dispatchEvent(new Event("layoutNeeded"));

I detect there's a problem with tile layout since it's not triggering layout as you add it on the fly.  I committed a fix some minutes ago. So if you are up to date with the repo remove the last line!, then until you update you can use that line

This layout works a bit differently than the rest of jewel layouts, since that can't be done just with CSS like other layouts, it requires JS calculations. Maybe if we implement it with the new css grid layout... but that will mean it will not work in IE11.

HTH

Carlos

El vie, 26 feb 2021 a las 3:46, Bilbosax (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
I'm having trouble changing the layout of a list using actionscript on the
fly.  For instance, if I want to change the layout from a horizontal layout
to a tile layout in actionscript, this is not working:

var hl:HorizontalLayout = new HorizontalLayout();
imageList.removeBead(hl);
var tile:TileLayout = new TileLayout();
imageList.addBead(tile);

<j:List localId="imageList" className="imageListItemRenderer"
click="preparePhotos(event)">
    <j:beads>
        <j:HorizontalLayout/>
    </j:beads>
</j:List>

Any suggestions?

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
Getting closer Carlos, but still struggling.  The only TileLayout that looks
good and behaves how I need is the Basic TileLayout. I am changing the
layout of an image gallery based on whether the browser is wider than it's
height.  If it is in a landscape mode, I want the layout to use a Basic
TileLayout.  If it is in portrait mode, I want it to use a Jewel
HorizontalLayout.  Based on what you said above, I am not trying to remove
the previous layout bead before setting a new one, just trying to change it
in actionscript on the fly.  I can get it to go from the Jewel
HorizontalLayout to the Basic TileLayout, but I can't get it to go from the
Basic TileLayout back to the Jewel HorizontalLayout, it stays in Basic
TileLayout.  You'll notice that I'm using a different itemrenderer for each
layout.  Here is a simplified version of what I have:

import org.apache.royale.html.beads.layouts.TileLayout;
import org.apache.royale.jewel.beads.layouts.HorizontalLayout;

if (appWidth > appHeight) {

    imageList.className = "imageListItemRenderer";
    var tile:TileLayout = new TileLayout();
    tile.columnWidth = 200;
    tile.rowHeight = 150;
    tile.numColumns = 3;
    imageList.addBead(tile);
    imageList.dispatchEvent(new Event("layoutNeeded"));

} else {

    imageList.className = "imageListItemRendererHorizontal";
    var hl2:HorizontalLayout = new HorizontalLayout();
    imageList.addBead(hl2);
    imageList.dispatchEvent(new Event("layoutNeeded"));

}

<j:List localId="imageList" className="imageListItemRendererHorizontal"
click="preparePhotos(event)">
    <j:beads>
        <j:HorizontalLayout/>
    </j:beads>
</j:List>

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Bill,

about browser orientation, you have a bead in Basic: BrowserOrientation
- if orientation is portratit it dispatches: 'orientationPortrait'
- if orientation is landspace it dispatches: 'orientationLandscape'
It's exemplified in TDJ's MainContent.mxml

Regarding mixing layouts from Basic and Jewel. That's not supported since both work differently and can lead to unexpected results.

Jewel uses class names in layouts, so you can inspect with the browser the html tag and see what class names are assigned and how it changes when you set another jewel layout.

So I think you have two paths here:
1.- see why jewel tile layout doesn't fit for your needs, if it's a bug in it or what's going on. It's based on Flex spark tile layout, but still can have bugs. I recommend this path since Tile layout should work fully. I have it in a production app here [1].
2.- try to stick with basic one, but then I think you need to remove the bead and also clean the class names of that layout before adding the basic layout. But since Basic and Jewel are different, I can't say if it will work fully. You need to try and see if that works, but having into account that's not something to be supported.

HTH

Carlos

[1] https://avant2.es/productos-y-companias/

El sáb, 27 feb 2021 a las 2:18, Bilbosax (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

So I have uncovered some bugs that you may want to squash in the
TileHorizontalLayout.  I decided to go with the jewel layouts as you
suggested, but I have uncovered several problems that I think need to be
addressed.  Due to the two separate problems, I am going to spread it over
two posts in this thread.  This is the first post and has to do with the
TileHorizontalLayout.  After setting up my layout, I noticed that the tiles
were changing shape when I resized the browser, which goofs up my
itemrenderer.  So I looked at the Tour De Jewel Layouts and figured out that
it was doing the same thing in your setup.  BUTTT, only if you set the
requestedColumnCount AFTER setting the rowHeight and columnWidth.  If you
set the requestedColumnCount before setting the rowHeight and coumnWidth,
everything works as planned:

tile.requestedColumnCount = someCount;
tile.columnWidth = someWidth;
tile.rowHeight = someHeight;
List.addbead(tile);

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2877%29.png>

Changing the browser size keeps the aspect ratio of the content as it
should:

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2878%29.png>

But if you set the requestedCoumnCount after declaring the rowHeight and
columnWidth, then as you resize the browser, the content distorts in shape:

tile.columnWidth = someWidth;
tile.rowHeight = someHeight;
tile.requestedColumnCount = someCount;
List.addbead(tile);

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2879%29.png>

rescaling the browser then distorts the content aspect ratio:

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2880%29.png>

This one was hard to figure out, sometimes the images distorted, sometimes
they remained fixed.  I think you need to identify why the order of the
requestedColumnCount, rowHeight, and columWidth would affect the scaling of
the content inside the layout.

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
The second part of the bug report has two issues.  The first is simple.  A
List with a Jewel HorizontalLayout or a Jewel TileHorizontalLayout has no
scrollbars.  My users will not be able to scroll to see all of the content:

HorizontalLayout - no Scrollbars in the List

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2881%29.png>

TileHorizontalLayout - no Scrollbars in the List

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2882%29.png>

The second part is a little more complicated.  I can get the Jewel Layout to
change between the two Layouts fine now, but when it goes from
TileHorizontalLayout to the HorizontalLayout, the images in the horizontal
List get grouped into groups of two with a big gap between them.  (I added a
"scrolling group" so that I could move the images over so you could see the
problem since the List did not have a scrollbar to demonstrate my point)

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2883%29.png>

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Bilbo,

about this, we need to go in chunks to manage all things. First, about scrollbars, did you try to add this to your group or container?

<j:beads>
<j:ScrollingViewport/>
</j:beads>

El sáb, 27 feb 2021 a las 23:48, Bilbosax (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
The second part of the bug report has two issues.  The first is simple.  A
List with a Jewel HorizontalLayout or a Jewel TileHorizontalLayout has no
scrollbars.  My users will not be able to scroll to see all of the content:

HorizontalLayout - no Scrollbars in the List

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2881%29.png>

TileHorizontalLayout - no Scrollbars in the List

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2882%29.png>

The second part is a little more complicated.  I can get the Jewel Layout to
change between the two Layouts fine now, but when it goes from
TileHorizontalLayout to the HorizontalLayout, the images in the horizontal
List get grouped into groups of two with a big gap between them.  (I added a
"scrolling group" so that I could move the images over so you could see the
problem since the List did not have a scrollbar to demonstrate my point)

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2883%29.png>

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
Yes, I did.  I have this in my app:

<j:List localId="imageList" className="imageListItemRendererHorizontal"
click="preparePhotos(event)">
    <j:beads>
        <j:ScrollingViewport/>
    </j:beads>
</j:List>

If I add it directly to the list, I do indeed get scrollbars as desired, but
there are two problems.  The first is that in both TileHorizontalLayout and
HorizontalLayout, the background of the List component is white, but as you
are scrolling, the white background scrolls with it leaving behind a grey
background.  The white background is the same size as you set for the List.
You will see in both layouts that half the background is white and the other
half is grey, and this background scrolls with the images.

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2884%29.png>

<http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/file/t184/Screenshot_%2885%29.png>

And of course, the other problem is that when moving from the
TileHorizontalLayout to the HorizontalLayout, the horizontal layout groups
the images into groups of two with a large space between them as seen in the
second image.

RE: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

hiedra

Bilbosax, This is what you need?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oNDPROvJ8wOqW-P-FBpMZHv0E3Qu1jXT/view?usp=sharing

Hiedra

RE: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
Yes, essentially.  If that is a List component with a tile layout, then that
is what I need.  If it is a just a container with objects in it, then that
won't work.

Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Bill,

I built this blog example here:

And I'm seeing the tile layout is not initializing as it worked some months ago, so I think there's a regression on it.
I need to investigate what's going on

El mar, 2 mar 2021 a las 14:48, Bilbosax (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Yes, essentially.  If that is a List component with a tile layout, then that
is what I need.  If it is a just a container with objects in it, then that
won't work.

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Brian Raymes

Hi Carlos,

More of an FYI regarding the tile layouts, they currently break in a few ways that mess with layout. See images. I haven’t quite figured out the reason, but though you should know.

This was achieved by simply playing with the sliders and or resizing browser (in my app).

For now, I’ve been using the flow layout with no gap and an added margin to my item renderers to simulate the gaps.

Brian

RE: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

hiedra
In this case it is a Jewel List:

    <j:List localId="lstThumbnails" dataProvider="{dtList}"
        percentWidth="100" percentHeight="100" minHeight="35" style="flex-wrap: wrap;"
        itemRenderer="itemRenderers.ThumbnailItemRenderer">
        <j:beads>
            <j:ListPresentationModel variableRowHeight="false"/>
            <j:HorizontalLayout gap="0" />
        </j:beads>
    </j:List>

The itemrenderer ThumbnailItemRenderer.mxml

<j:ListItemRenderer
    xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
    xmlns:j="library://ns.apache.org/royale/jewel"
    xmlns:js="library://ns.apache.org/royale/basic"
    xmlns:html="library://ns.apache.org/royale/html"
    style="padding: 0px;">

    <j:beads>
        <js:ItemRendererDataBinding />
        <j:VerticalLayout itemsVerticalAlign="itemsCenter" itemsHorizontalAlign="itemsLeft" />
    </j:beads>

    <j:Card id="cardThumbnail" width="300" >
    </j:Card>
</j:ListItemRenderer>

Hiedra

RE: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
Thanks for the feedback hiedra.  When I choose a simple layout like your
example, the only problem I run into is the background scrolling along with
the content.  But I think the problem is bigger.  I have a background issue
with both the TileHorizontalLayout and the HorizontalLayout for a list as
you can see in the images I posted above.  Also, the bigger problem seems to
happen when switching from one Layout to another using actionscript, it just
seems to go haywire in terms of spacing.

RE: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

hiedra
Hi Bilbosax,
I can't quite understand the background problem ... Can't you customize the item's css style to make it transparent for example?
And regarding the layout change, ... do you need this effect [1]? If this works for you, until the THL works as you need, you could assign an HL to the List, and swap the values "wrap" and "nowrap" in "flex-wrap" according to the orientation: "wrap" when you need THL and " no wrap "when you need the HL.

[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1029-svqDlEhPmBwd8OMpfu8PFqD_-UV1/view?usp=sharing

Hiedra

RE: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

Bilbosax
These are all very creative solutions, and if it becomes necessary, I will
definitely use one.  I've got a couple of weeks until I will need this to go
into production and I'm hoping a solution will arise before then.

With the background, I actually NEED it all to be white like the list.  My
app background is grey and I need it to stay that way, so not sure how much
can be done with CSS, but will likely have to draw a white SVG rectangle
behind the list with a transparent background.

The Flex-wrap is definitely a creative thought.  I'm not absolutely thrilled
with it because my app is a real estate app, and the images look cleaner
when they are all lined up.  The Flex-wrap feature does not make the second
row line up exactly with the first row like a tilehorizontallayout, they can
be offset.  Considering how many images I have to show, it could look a bit
chaotic if they are not organized.  But I will hold it as an option if I
have no others.

I just feel that in a Responsive Design, layouts are a critical part and
since they can be added to so many different components, then these bumps
probably need to be ironed out if at all possible. Trying to provide as much
feedback as I can during my development.

Thanks for all your thoughts hiedra, I will try some of them tomorrow!

RE: Horizontal Layout - Actionscript

hiedra
Hello Bilbosax, if you have a couple of weeks I would also wait.
If you need it by then don't worry because you can make the background white without any problem, simply with a custom classname, don't see it as a drawback.
Regarding the width there is no problem either, in my example it is like this for convenience but if you need to square the columns you just have to give the it a fixed width.

Let's wait and see what Carlos says, I think he commented that he was seeing some anomaly ...

Hiedra.