How to Contribute in Apache Royale

alina kazi-2

Hi,

After the Successful Build of Apache Royale

“royale-compiler”,

“royale-typedefs”

and “royale-asjs”

1.How can I install that Compiled build as I execute the command “npm install royale –g ” inside royale-asjs  an error occurred for env.variable missing for python…..  ?

2.What are the steps that should follow to work on Emulations?

3.How can I  work on them?

4.How can I test them ?

Thanks,

Alina

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Piotr Zarzycki
Hello Alina,

Great! Congrats! :)
1. Do you mean build which is usable in IDE ?

2. Emulation is so far build on separate branch [1], switch to that branch for your  royale-asjs. Rebuild again royale-asjs once you switch.

Alex, Does compiler repository should be switched also to the branch or can stay on "develop" ?

3. Whole framework is split into several modules [2]. Your interested part is in module MXRoyale. If you change anything there, you don't have to rebuild whole framework - enough if you build this module.

Once you finish your changes in module, you can test them using Examples [3]. - That part will be a bit tricky. Flow is following:

1) You are changing something in module MXRoyale - I'm personally using Intellij to changing code in Framework.
2) You are configuring your example " HelloWorld" in some IDE which supports Royale (Moonshine or VSCode) - You are doing this with some version of nightly build.
You probably will get some errors because Nightly build doesn't have any changes related to Emulation, but ignore that.
3) Apply your changes
4) Rebuild example by Maven

If you would like to get rid of errors mentioned in 2 - Build whole framework to produce distribution package which Moonshine understands:
mvn -Drat.skip=true -DdistributionTargetFolder=d:\Work\royale_ide\distribution -P build-distribution clean install
Point to that folder in your IDE.
Everything depends how fast you wanted to work - If you don't need in IDE some intellisence, because you have changed in MXRoyale module some minor things - do not rebuild whole framework!
You will save your time.
Others can point you how to work with ANT - Above flow is working for me for about 2 years now. ;)
I think Alex and Peter can tell you more about code in that module, get familiar with it for now yourself. Once you get familiar and make any changes we can take another step - How to commit all your code.

Thanks, Piotr

After the Successful Build of Apache Royale

“royale-compiler”,

“royale-typedefs”

and “royale-asjs”

1.How can I install that Compiled build as I execute the command “npm install royale –g ” inside royale-asjs  an error occurred for env.variable missing for python…..  ?

2.What are the steps that should follow to work on Emulations?

3.How can I  work on them?

4.How can I test them ?

Thanks,

Alina

RE: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

alina kazi-2

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link :https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop

is similar to

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link : [1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/feature/MXRoyale

1.How git will differentiate between these commands?

Thanks,

Alina

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Alex Harui-2
Hi Alina, to use the MXRoyale branch, use:

git checkout feature/MXRoyale

Only royale-asjs has an MXRoyale branch.  We have not made a branch for the compiler yet.

RE: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

alina kazi-2

Hi Alex,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltzpvqgl8ab9e1w/mxroyalesuccess.png?dl=0

done.. Thank you.

-Alina

Hi Alina, to use the MXRoyale branch, use:

git checkout feature/MXRoyale

Only royale-asjs has an MXRoyale branch.  We have not made a branch for the compiler yet.

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Piotr Zarzycki
Alina,

If you want there is several tools for managing git visually. I'm using sourcetree [1]

Piotr

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018, 07:29 Alina Kazi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Alex,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltzpvqgl8ab9e1w/mxroyalesuccess.png?dl=0

done.. Thank you.

-Alina

Hi Alina, to use the MXRoyale branch, use:

git checkout feature/MXRoyale

Only royale-asjs has an MXRoyale branch.  We have not made a branch for the compiler yet.

RE: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

alina kazi-2

I am using Moonshine IDE 1.9.0 and 0.9.0-js-swf is installed on my machine.

I am trying to run   F:/src/royale-asjs/examples/mxRoyale/HelloWorld .

Will it work?

I followed only steps that I shared earlier . Nothing else.

Or I have to do anything to get HelloWorld compile?

Thanks,

Alina

Hi Alina, to use the MXRoyale branch, use:

git checkout feature/MXRoyale

Only royale-asjs has an MXRoyale branch.  We have not made a branch for the compiler yet.

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Piotr Zarzycki
Alina,

Compilation won't work through the Moonshine, because Nightly build is based on "develop" branch, so you just don't have stuff there. You can use IDE to setup the project simply edit it. Analyze my first email in this thread. I described how you can use Moonshine with this branch and work with framework.

Thanks, Piotr

I am using Moonshine IDE 1.9.0 and 0.9.0-js-swf is installed on my machine.

I am trying to run   F:/src/royale-asjs/examples/mxRoyale/HelloWorld .

Will it work?

I followed only steps that I shared earlier . Nothing else.

Or I have to do anything to get HelloWorld compile?

Thanks,

Alina

Hi Alina, to use the MXRoyale branch, use:

git checkout feature/MXRoyale

Only royale-asjs has an MXRoyale branch.  We have not made a branch for the compiler yet.

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Piotr Zarzycki
One more thing. As I said in the first post you can build whole framework "asjs" suing option distribution - It will produce for you artifacts which Moonshine understand. You still won't be able to build using that artifacts, but new things which are in emulation branch will be visible in code completion. - This is BUG which I hope to fix someday ;)

Only ANT build produce artifacts which are fully usable with IDE.

Thanks, Piotr

[...]

During the execution of
mvn -Drat.skip=true -DdistributionTargetFolder=f:\src\royale-asjs\distribution -P build-distribution clean install inside  f:\src\royale-asjs
or
mvn -Drat.skip=true -DdistributionTargetFolder=f:\ apache-royale-0.9.1-bin-js-swf \ apache-royale-0.9.1-bin-js-swf \royale-asjs\distribution -P build-distribution clean install inside  f:\src\royale-asjs
Getting this Error:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhjc5tfnuiv6yx8/buildmvnerror.txt?dl=0

Do I have to Download Latest Nightly Build to resolve the issue or anything else?

Thanks,

Alina

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link :https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop

is similar to

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link : [1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/feature/MXRoyale

1.How git will differentiate between these commands?

Thanks,

Alina

RE: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

alina kazi-2

Issue Resolved.

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link :https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop

is similar to

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link : [1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/feature/MXRoyale

1.How git will differentiate between these commands?

Thanks,

Alina

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Piotr Zarzycki
IMO you should use to build sources, not downloaded from the server nightly build. Nightly build as a redy for use in IDE. I bet that you will be able to use nightly build - and run Maven command, but the thing is that we are committing to Git.

Whenever you are starting job you should check whether there is not new stuff. In your case you will be on branch MXRoyale.

Thanks, Piotr

Issue Resolved.

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link :https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop

is similar to

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link : [1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/feature/MXRoyale

1.How git will differentiate between these commands?

Thanks,

Alina

RE: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

alina kazi-2

Hi Piotr,

Examples->MxRoyale-> HelloWorld

Error link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f0nsu32q1it1jq/errorcompilation.png?dl=0

Thanks,

Alina

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link :https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop

is similar to

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link : [1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/feature/MXRoyale

1.How git will differentiate between these commands?

Thanks,

Alina

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Piotr Zarzycki
Alina,

I provide you flow for work with Framework. If you are using Maven to build distribution package - it is not working with IDE. Only ANT distribution package working. Once Again flow:

SDK Developer:
1) You are changing something in SDK - something in one of the module.
2) You are rebuilding your module by Maven
3) Apply the changes in your application - Note you won't see code completion if you changed the api of some component. IF you want to see those changes in code completion BUILD whole framework using distribution switch which I provided in the first email. - Do you need to see them - not necessary, enough if Maven will see them.

Important: Distribution package of Maven is broken and you can use it only for code completion purposes, but you cannot build project using it.

4) Build your project using Maven - you can prepare for your project Maven build easly. Try first with Hello World it contains POM.

Important: In Moonshine for above case use Nightly Build - it will build Hello World. - especially if you don't change any part of the framework.

Is that more clear ?

Thanks, Piotr

Hi Piotr,

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link :https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop

is similar to

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link : [1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/feature/MXRoyale

1.How git will differentiate between these commands?

Thanks,

Alina

Re: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

Piotr Zarzycki
Alina,

Here is the snippet which may help you prepare pom for your project in the future [1]

Thanks, Piotr

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link :https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop

is similar to

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs.git royale-asjs

cd royale-asjs

git checkout develop

ref link : [1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/feature/MXRoyale

1.How git will differentiate between these commands?

Thanks,

Alina

RE: How to Contribute in Apache Royale

alina kazi-2

Piotr ,

I am trying to build MxRoyale->HelloWorld   that is using namespace xmlns:mx="library://ns.apache.org/royale/mx"
Using Latest Nightly Build “F:\apache-royale-0.9.2-bin-js-swf\royale-asjs”

F:\moonshine\HelloWorld> mvn -s F:\apache-royale-0.9.2-bin-js-swf\royale-asjs/settings-template.xml clean install

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1nhi7w0otzrkxu/helloworldwithnightlybuild.txt?dl=0 (Error Link)

My Question is that how can I test MxRoyale Examples (e.g HelloWorld and ControlsExample) ?

From: Alina Kazi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM
To: "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>