Jewel List Question

Bilbosax
Is there a way to provide scroll snapping in a Jewel List? Flex's list
controls have parameters like pageScrollingEnabled and scrollSnappingMode so
that when a user is scrolling a list, it will snap from one list item to
another, like flipping through a photo gallery.  Is this possible in Royale?

I see that there is a scrollToIndex property that could be useful, but in
that case, you would have to have a way to remove the scrollbar or make it
"stick" in position until you chose to increment the scrollToIndex property
with perhaps a "next" button.

Any thoughts?

Re: Jewel List Question

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Bilbo,

there's no scroll snapping actually, but I think it could be somehow easy to implement it in a bead, so people wanting that just need to add the bead to the list. Searching over the internet I see this [1], but I need to take a look. Maybe it would need some tweak of "scrollArea.scrollTop" in the ListView.

"scrollSnappingMode" could be as well a bead that add "scroll-snap-type" and "scroll-snap-align"

"pageScrollingEnabled" is to scroll exactly "a page", and a page is the current list view height?
We could create a bead called "ListPageScrolling" that add "scroll-snap-points-y" maybe in combination of the other bead or as an extension...

Would you want to try to implement this yourself and contribute to the project as a Pull Request (PR) ?
Maybe it could sound complicated, but it seems that is more a work of thinking about the correct structure and just use what is implemented in browsers right now. If you can't I could see when I could give some time. But we need to understand that this is OS and as users become contributors, we'll make this project grow and be more rock solid over time. It's important to get more users on board knowing how things are done and contributing :)

The good thing in Royale is that we can combine Flex things with modern browsers adventages (that are many) and get best of both worlds, that's personally what I like from Royale.

El mar, 16 feb 2021 a las 2:17, Bilbosax (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Is there a way to provide scroll snapping in a Jewel List? Flex's list
controls have parameters like pageScrollingEnabled and scrollSnappingMode so
that when a user is scrolling a list, it will snap from one list item to
another, like flipping through a photo gallery.  Is this possible in Royale?

I see that there is a scrollToIndex property that could be useful, but in
that case, you would have to have a way to remove the scrollbar or make it
"stick" in position until you chose to increment the scrollToIndex property
with perhaps a "next" button.

Any thoughts?

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Jewel List Question

Bilbosax
Carlos, at this point, I'm going to have to let you get to adding this
feature when you can find some spare time.  I do think that it would be
worth the effort though, because people on the web definitely utilize
scrollable image galleries that snap from image to image.  I want to use it
for a real estate app.  Until then, I will try to find an acceptable
workaround.

I would be more than happy to contribute at some point, but I believe
documentation might be a better way for me to contribute.  When the water
gets deep, I am somewhat of an amateur.  I have never had any formal
software training in school, and so I am more of a "user" of software tools
than a developer of software tools.  I have never had to make my own class
for anything yet.  So I know enough to get work done, but just enough to be
dangerous.  I wouldn't have a clue how to get started on a regular class,
let alone how to start a bead that interfaces with CSS and Javascript
somehow, and using all the implementations and code practices that you pros
use.  You would get something from me that looked like tornado hit it and
have to rework it yourself anyway ;)

Re: Jewel List Question

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Bilbo,

ok I'll try to do it, since I find it interesting and worth the effort. But I'm so bloated with many things that it is difficult to get to all for just one man.

One thing you can do is to apply the CSS selectors I give you. Read about it on how to use it and apply in Royale creating a CSS style and applying to your component using "className" property. The Royale world is more open and easy to work than flex so while you're using AS3/MXML you have access to all the browser things available.