Maven vs Ant

Paul Stearns
I currently use neither Maven, nor Ant, but I want to install Royale.

Which tool will;

  • Be easiest to use?
  • Have fewest problems?
  • Potentially have utility other than building Royale?

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: Maven vs Ant

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Paul,

The question is what do you aiming?

1) Are you going to work on framework itself?
2) Are you going to use framework as a user without touching the code?

Upcoming version of Moonshine will have options to install Nightly build and reinstall whenever you want. Current version has only ability to easy install released version. I hope we cut release at the end of next week.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020, 5:54 PM Paul Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
I currently use neither Maven, nor Ant, but I want to install Royale.

Which tool will;

  • Be easiest to use?
  • Have fewest problems?
  • Potentially have utility other than building Royale?

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: Maven vs Ant

Andrew Wetmore
Hi, Paul:

I think Piotr's point is that, if you want to build applications using Apache Royale, you don't need to compile Royale from source and therefore don't need either Maven or Ant. You can use an IDE like Moonshine, connect the latest version of Royale to it (easy process right within the IDE), and just focus on your application's code.

Andrew

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 1:12 PM Piotr Zarzycki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I received instructions to get the nightly build of Royale. Which I did. The README from Royale is telling me to build Royale using Maven or Ant.

If there is an easier way, I'm all for easy.

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107

Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: Maven vs Ant

Paul Stearns
Piotr:

In answer to your specific questions, my intention is to make my test application work. It includes a number of components based on standard MX components such as ValidatedTextInput which extends TextInput. Will I need to work on the framework to create this type of extended component?

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107

Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: Maven vs Ant

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Paul,

as Piotr and Andrew said, the easiest way to work with Royale for a user is using a nightly build SDK, as you did with Flex. In that way you point your IDE to that SDK folder and start to use it.

If you use Maven or ANT is more about to have an independent of build system so you can launch a script and get your project compiled and ready to use. Corporations use to go with Maven, since it manage library versions for you (dependency management), ensuring you have reproducible builds, and you can set up a CI server to build each time source code is committed. All these comes at a cost. So while it brings you "other uses than build royale", is "not the easiest to use", and "can generate problems" while you make it work, although once you have it running I see huge advantages of developing with the same system that you'll use in your CI Server.

El vie., 31 ene. 2020 a las 19:11, Paul Stearns (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Piotr:

In answer to your specific questions, my intention is to make my test application work. It includes a number of components based on standard MX components such as ValidatedTextInput which extends TextInput. Will I need to work on the framework to create this type of extended component?

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107

Re: Maven vs Ant

Paul Stearns
Piotr:

My sample project contains a main  screen with two "modules" in a folder structure that looks like;

Main.mxml, loads the modules Test1.mxml & Test2.mxml, which references components  in AppTools, Classes, com etc. I have tried to replace helloWorld, and tried modifying a number of things. It compiles, but all I end up with is the helloWorld js script..

I will continue to fiddle about to see whether I can make something work.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/piotrzarzycki