Royal-Js sdk and more...

I spent some time on your mails below but it is not clear enough for me.

I tried to build the source from https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs but failed.

I have some questions.

In flex we were building the mxl codes and as codes with flex sdk to produce swf files that are being loaded by browser. I also had some setup before for the command line building automation with ant mxml task.

For the Royal;

  • What is going on RoyaleJs ?
  • Where and which sdk should i download or build my own ?
  • Is it possbile to you use flashbuilder with RoyalJs ?

I have spent so much time J2ee and web applications, in pure php html sites, pure js with rest backend and small time with js fw like angular. I a familiar with other technologies.

As i know, we will not need flash player any more.

So what is the application structure of RoyaleJs at last ? A compressed file like jar, or js files or something else ?

If i can start developing small applications, i may go on to migrate my legacy flex application.

I know it is really new project and lots of work need to be done especially documentation.

Thanx in advance.

Hi,

I have a new migration helper at:

http://home.apache.org/~pent/Flex2RoyaleApp/

You should start with the Royale Express package as these are components

that have the most common functionality built into them. Your feedback

would be GREATLY appreciated so we can make this better.

I just finished putting in additional information onto that helper guide.

It does need more details but hopefully will get you started.

Regards,

Peter Ent

Adobe Systems/Apache Royale Project

Hi Serkan,

I would add couple of things to the Carlos's message. First of all Peter's

application and their results - not sure if it is updated [1], apache

Royale website which is under construction [2]. I would suggest you to take

a look into the examples first and try to build them [3]. You have there

couple of options:

1) You can build applications using independent from IDE tools: Ant or Maven

2) You can choose one of the available IDE which supports for now FlexJS,

they will be soon both support Royale [4][5].

[1] http://home.apache.org/~pent/Flex2Royale/

[2] http://royale.apache.org/

[3] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/examples/royale

[4] https://nextgenactionscript.com/

[5] http://moonshine-ide.com/

Feel free to ask any kind of question, the beginnings with FlexJS/Royale

become hard, but later you will like it more.

> Hi Senkar,

> in Royale list you can check for Peter Ent's effort to generate a some

> Flex2Royale App that helps with component documentation between SDKs.

> As well there's some effort by Olaf Krueger that should be migrate to

> Royale as well in github:

> https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki

> Best

> Carlos

> > Thank you ver much Carlos,

> > Is there a guide or some documentation for migration ?

> > --

> Carlos Rovira

> http://about.me/carlosrovira

mobile: +48 880 859 557

skype: zarzycki10

Thank you ver much Carlos,

Is there a guide or some documentation for migration ?

RE: Royal-Js sdk and more...

Idylog - Nicolas Granon
Hi Serkan,

Welcome to the list, and welcome to this exciting project !

I do not belong to the Apache Royale "core team", but since you seems to be on the "application developer" side like me, I thought I could try to bring some information to you.
I do not have any "expertise" in Apache Royale, and maybe some of my comments are not accurate.
But, like you, we have Flex applications to migrate, and, at least, my comments reflect what we have understood so far.

I apologize to all "core team" members for any wrong/inexact opinion in there. Also, it is possible that my English does not adequately reflects my thoughts.

At this time, the Apache Royale project in reaching the end of some major restructuring work. That might explain some difficulties in building the SDK.
For us, we do not compile the SDK ourselves : we only use the binaries distribution.
But we know that SDK compile-from-source process is not, right now, fully operational. From what I understand, it is a matter of days before it is fully operational again.
We are in kind of "intermediate" step until restructuring is fully achieved.

As of today, you could download the FlexJS (v.0.8) or the Apache Royale (v.0.9) SDK.
Obviously, the project name changed (and it also caused some delay in the availability of a full operational version) and is now "Apache Royale".
FlexJS (0.8) is more stable but since there were many name-changes I believe it is better to go with Royale 0.9 despites it is not fully operational as of today.

With Apache Royale you code mxml and as, like "before" (Flex).
The compiler is able to produce a SWF file (like before) *or* (more or less) equivalent javascript scripts. In the case of javascript output, the Flash Player is not needed at runtime.

You still can build with ant. The compiler name is still mxmlc (or compc for libraries). Most parameters are the same. Of course, some new parameters apply to javascript ouput.

Yes you can use FlashBuilder (this is what we do).
I have send one or two contribution to this list on how to setup FB.
As of today, there are still some minor issues, but I'm confident all will be resolved very quickly, as we approach to v.1.0.

As I understand your question about "application structure", and as far as I know, it is a very classic "javascript includes" structure (like angular, react and many other).
Debug output is human-readable, production (release) output is minified.
But since you can debug from (as3) source code, I believe you could totally ignore javascript output.

As I see it, the project has really strong points :
The compiler is excellent
AS3 language syntax is fully preserved
MXML syntax is fully preserved
The "js side" output uses proven tools (google closures...)
The development team has excellent qualifications and they are very thoughtful and dedicated people.
The community is very supportive.
(strong point ? may be discussed !) It is really a community project without an official roadmap and without any "directing board". You can really engage in architectural and implementation discussion, express your opinion and make it prevail if it makes sense.
(I'm sure I'm forgetting some strong point !)

And also weak points :
It is not yet fully specified (work on theming, localization, UI components capabilities and other aspects is still in progress)
The initial goal was to have "almost full compatibility" between SWF (flash player) and JS output. In my eyes (it is only my personal opinion) this is not such a good goal (even if I understand the motivations). It adds much complexity but I'm pretty sure that very few people will need it. I feel that since a few weeks more people understand that outputting JS is more important than outputting SWF.
The community is not very large and web presence is small. This is normal for an emerging project which is not backed up by some mega corporation.
You cannot expect to have identical component names/API than in mx or spark. You will have to replace (when migrating an existing application) almost all component declaration and customization, and also most event management calls. However, non-UI code should only need minor adjustments.
(weak point ? may be discussed !) It is really a community project without an official roadmap and without any "directing board". You will not get a "packaged" solution, ready to consume.
(I'm sure I'm forgetting some weak point !)

I would like to encourage people like you to go with this project : it has very strong foundation and despites its current and temporary unstable state (which should resolve quickly) it offers to application developers like you and me a wonderful and modern tool for building "web-apps".
The more people like you we have on board, the more chances we have to get Apache Royale in the top-three app development SDKs.

May I remind again that I am not part of the sdk developing team, and that my opinions and assertions are under my own responsibility and only reflect my own understandings.

Nicolas Granon

> [...]

Apache Royale is 0.9 so I think is the best choice to migrate, since depending on how you
made your application you can reuse part of your AS3 code and use the rest as a guide to write
the new Royale code

I must say that nowadays there's people making production Apps with Apache Royale so I think
it could be a good time to start making such migration.

Best

> Hi all,
>
> I have an application written with flex. I am planning to move on
> flahplayer-free version. But i am a little bit confused.
>
> What should i do ?
>
> My options :
>

> 1.      Move to new framework, all my codebase becomes junk.
>
> 2.      Move to FlexJs-royalejs do not know the difference may be are same
>
> 3.      Wait until the new frameworks becomes mature, continue to code

Re: Royal-Js sdk and more...

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Nicolas, Serkan,

If may add something. There is also possibility to work with project using Maven which is currently perfectly working in case of building SDK. You can right now do not wait for fix but could take an approach IDE agnostic.

1) You can build SDK by Maven
2) Prepare Maven pom for your hello world
3) Use working IDE for code editing - once you change something rebuild by Maven.
4) SKD has changed - ok I'm pulling everything from the repo, rebuild SDK by Maven and can use it!

I'm working on fix where you will have to do only #2 and #3, cause after renaming something has been broken and you need to build locally SDK.

In the next couple of weeks probably I will describe such approach more widely. I've been working like that for the past 3 years with FlexJS and now Royale, only from time to time I was building applications by Moonshine or VSCode.

Thanks, Piotr

> [...]

[1] http://home.apache.org/~pent/Flex2Royale/
[2] http://royale.apache.org/
[3] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/examples/royale
[4] https://nextgenactionscript.com/
[5] http://moonshine-ide.com/

Feel free to ask any kind of question, the beginnings with FlexJS/Royale
become hard, but later you will like it more.

> Hi Senkar,
>
> in Royale list you can check for Peter Ent's effort to generate a some
> Flex2Royale App that helps with component documentation between SDKs.
>
> As well there's some effort by Olaf Krueger that should be migrate to
> Royale as well in github:
>
> https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki
>
> Best
>
> Carlos

> > Thank you ver much Carlos,
> >
> > Is there a guide or some documentation for migration ?

mobile: <a href="tel:%2B48%20880%20859%20557" value="+48880859557" target="_blank">+48 880 859 557
skype: zarzycki10

Thank you ver much Carlos,

Is there a guide or some documentation for migration ?

Apache Royale is the new name of Apache FlexJS. So if use that route please move to Apache
Royale project.

Apache Royale is 0.9 so I think is the best choice to migrate, since depending on how you
made your application you can reuse part of your AS3 code and use the rest as a guide to write
the new Royale code

I must say that nowadays there's people making production Apps with Apache Royale so I think
it could be a good time to start making such migration.

Best

> Hi all,
>
> I have an application written with flex. I am planning to move on
> flahplayer-free version. But i am a little bit confused.
>
> What should i do ?
>
> My options :
>

> 1.      Move to new framework, all my codebase becomes junk.
>
> 2.      Move to FlexJs-royalejs do not know the difference may be are same
>
> 3.      Wait until the new frameworks becomes mature, continue to code
> wşth as and mxml
>
> Thankx in advance.

Re: Royal-Js sdk and more...

Hi Nikola,

Thank you for realy detailed response.

I have been application developer for long time but better like to do
something in server side. Current flex UI need to be moved to
flash-player-free version is the UI of Job Scheduler  named Pınara.

I do not perefer normally to compile the sdk myself, but it may be
helpful because there may be some locale problems from local settings
and i may face them as early as possible. But it is going to be very
nice if your share the sdk binaries download link.

I am providing consultancy services during my day and only have time
afterworks if i feel good,  so i can not fully involve on my migration plan.

And i share the same feeling with you about the importance of JS output :)

Serkan Taş

06.11.2017 01:56 tarihinde Idylog - Nicolas Granon yazdı:

> [...]
> (weak point ? may be discussed !) It is really a community project without an official roadmap and without any "directing board". You will not get a "packaged" solution, ready to consume.
> (I'm sure I'm forgetting some weak point !)
>
> I would like to encourage people like you to go with this project : it has very strong foundation and despites its current and temporary unstable state (which should resolve quickly) it offers to application developers like you and me a wonderful and modern tool for building "web-apps".
> The more people like you we have on board, the more chances we have to get Apache Royale in the top-three app development SDKs.
>
> May I remind again that I am not part of the sdk developing team, and that my opinions and assertions are under my own responsibility and only reflect my own understandings.

mobile: <a href="tel:%2B48%20880%20859%20557" value="+48880859557" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+48 880 859 557
skype: zarzycki10

Thank you ver much Carlos,

Is there a guide or some documentation for migration ?

Apache Royale is the new name of Apache FlexJS. So if use that route please move to Apache
Royale project.

Apache Royale is 0.9 so I think is the best choice to migrate, since depending on how you
made your application you can reuse part of your AS3 code and use the rest as a guide to write
the new Royale code

I must say that nowadays there's people making production Apps with Apache Royale so I think
it could be a good time to start making such migration.

Best

> Hi all,
>
> I have an application written with flex. I am planning to move on
> flahplayer-free version. But i am a little bit confused.
>
> What should i do ?
>
> My options :
>

> 1.      Move to new framework, all my codebase becomes junk.
>
> 2.      Move to FlexJs-royalejs do not know the difference may be are same
>
> 3.      Wait until the new frameworks becomes mature, continue to code
> wşth as and mxml
>
> Thankx in advance.

Re: Royal-Js sdk and more...

Hi Serkan,

Sorry for the delay. We have two packages of Royale so far. First [1] is where you can build your created application to both SWF and JS version. The second one [2] is for building your created application to JS only [2]. If you decide to go with Maven path you will be IDE agnostic and you will be able to use IDE for coding only. I'm working like that in the most cases.

There are two IDE which supports Apache FlexJS and the teams working on supports Apache Royale [3][4].

- Moonshine [5] will have partial support in the upcoming release 1.6.1 details in the issue on github. We are going to release very soon that version.
- VSCode [6]  seems to be pretty close to also have Apache Royale support!

I hope that helps you to get engaged! Look forward to your questions!

Thanks, Piotr