Royale/AMF For Healthcare Apps

Jason Fillman
Nearly a decade ago I stepped away from Flex, and all programming, and went another way.

I have long had an interest to produce apps in the healthcare space and really felt the broad device support that Flex offerred could address many challenges with players in that space, but the changes to support and unclear future of Flash and Flex, really changed things.

I have recently started looking around again, finding Royale, compiling a couple sample apps and trying to see what I could learn, but basically starting over, having forgotten most things.

My question to the group, realizing this is really an opinion question, is the appropriateness of Royale and AMF for solutions that require very strong data security and encryption.

Seems like AMF is the preferred choice for data integration, but doesn't seem to have been updated in several years. Is AMF the way to go?

I found essentially no instructions on getting a BlazeDS environment setup locally or hosted. (AWS/Azure??). Looking for baby steps with examples, maybe paired with some e-learning recommendations.

Hoping to dust off the skills or, more accurately, start over, and would appreciate some feedback, thoughts, and suggestions from this group.

Re: Royale/AMF For Healthcare Apps

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Jason,

Royale offers AMF since it is a very good way to send and receive data. The security layer can be https as it was before. I also could say that since AMF is not as popular as other communication ways, it's more secure.

Benign said that Royale offers the rest of usual formats in Flex (like HTTPService), but also other more compliant with web standards like REST/JSON. So you can choose things more "actual" or going with AMF if you want.

In the end I think you have more options.

is AMF the way to go? My opinion is: it depends... If I'd go with a huge system, I'd invest in AMF since is very good. For me it continue to be the best. But if I'm going to do some mash up with other services, then probably will go with REST/JSON or HTTPService since I'd only be a "consumer" of info from another source and they probably will put on that format.

You have a java blazeds example in our repo /examples/amf and a client (use MXRoyale version). And also there's lots of emails in user and dev lists here from people asking mostly the same all time, so you can learn from the start of many others with Royale and AMF

HTH

Carlos

El mié, 17 feb 2021 a las 3:52, Jason Fillman (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

Apache Member & Apache Royale PMC
Apache Software Foundation

RE: Royale/AMF For Healthcare Apps

Jason Fillman

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for the response! I’ve noted the Royale and AMF example projects and will see how far I get.

A point of clarity, if I need to compile any Royale project where I want to use AMF, I have to use Maven vs other development tools, to compile the Royale project? I ask because Maven isn’t listed as an IDE tool on the Royale website.

Jason

Re: Royale/AMF For Healthcare Apps

dslotemaker
Hi Jason,

I too am from a Flex background and has just started using Royal. You can use any of the IDEs to compile if you want to use RemoteObject. I am using Moonshine, Carlos uses VS Code.

If you want to use BlazeDS you should use the mx version of RemoteObject as it is more feature complete and returns the same Result and Fault objects as the old Flex version. If you also want to use Jewel you have to change a compiler string to exclude somthings. The example should work fine, I only ran into trouble when I was trying to compile my own projects. The thread is here on the news group.

Welcome,

David

--

David Slotemaker de Bruïne
Head of Educational Robotics

Av. Sarriá, 130 - 08017 Barcelona

T. +34 932 523 729 ext. 135

Re: Royale/AMF For Healthcare Apps

Hi Jason,

Maven and ANT are Build systems that you can use to build locally or in a server. Those can generate an SDK from scratch.
VSCode+AS3&MXML and Moonshine are IDEs (like Flash Builder was in Flex days), they can consume an SDK
Also, try to use latest nightly builds in this page at the end of it: https://royale.apache.org/get-involved/
(0.9.7 is very old, so better 0.9.8)

You can start from a nightly SDK and use it in an IDE and then evolve over time to your own build from sources if you want. That is not required and depends on your relation with the technology and the way you want to use it.

El mié, 17 feb 2021 a las 22:45, Jason Fillman (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for the response! I’ve noted the Royale and AMF example projects and will see how far I get.

A point of clarity, if I need to compile any Royale project where I want to use AMF, I have to use Maven vs other development tools, to compile the Royale project? I ask because Maven isn’t listed as an IDE tool on the Royale website.

Jason

Apache Software Foundation

RE: Royale/AMF For Healthcare Apps

Jason Fillman

Hi David,

I appreciate the response. I have many questions, but will try and fail or succeed a bit and see where I get and circle back.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Royale/AMF For Healthcare Apps

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Jason,

Remember that users and dev mailing list archive is place where you may find many answers to your questions. I encourage you to search  :)