RoyaleStore broken with sdk 0.96

Mandeep Sarma
Hi,

Can anyone tell me why the "ToggleTextButton" in the "ControlBar" in RoyaleStore.mxml don't work anymore with sdk 0.96?

And why the ProductCatalogThumbnail are not created anymore with sdk 0.94.

I'm using moonshine 2.4.0 build 1387.

I'm most interested in knowing what changes in the SDK could be causing the problems.

This brings up another question, doesn't the way in which Royale is being developed significantly increase the risks to future Royale SDKs breaking applications in lengthy development (large applications) ? I ask because Royale is being considered as a platform to convert a Flash Player app.

Thx!
Mandeep

Re: RoyaleStore broken with sdk 0.96

Alex Harui-2

Hmm, it is broken for me too.  In a quick look, it appears that the fx:Style block that brings in main.css is not working.  It appears that the main.css is not having any effect or isn’t in the output.  It is the end of my work day, so maybe someone else who had been in the compiler can take a look.  Otherwise I will try to look tomorrow.

-Alex

El mié., 14 ago. 2019 a las 5:54, Mandeep Sarma (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

This brings up another question, doesn't the way in which Royale is being developed significantly increase the risks to future Royale SDKs breaking applications in lengthy development (large applications) ? I ask because Royale is being considered as a platform to convert a Flash Player app.

Can you elaborate more on what you think the way in which Royale is being developed can cause problems?

We are in 0.9.6 version, still not 1.0, so still code that need to be followed and requires people to be "connected" to what community is doing.
My personal opinion is that we'll reach a point when Royale will be very stable and many or most of the core things will hardly change in the future. Other will still need to be evolved even more towards other major versions (2.0...)

In my case, I use to recompile example apps like Tour de Jewel, and my personal Apps to see if changes break something. Sometimes this happen, but is inevitable if we want to progress. Some times things where set in a temporal shape or was implemented as better as contributors can in the amount of time invested, or simply put in that shape as a first step to be iterated in the future...

Since Royale is a complex framework, don't see other way with the current set of people working on it, but it will be interesting to know more about what you think and propose other ways.

Re: RoyaleStore broken with sdk 0.96

Mandeep Sarma

Hi Carlos,

I was in no way trying to challenge the intelligence of the methods being used to develop Royale, I was simply trying to understand why it’s broken. And my question was more on trying to understand why the development of Royale breaks old code, for example several examples no longer work, at least for me. I’m only trying to evaluate the potential future risks in case something breaks due to changes in the SDK and whether I'll be able to fix them or not.

If I came across as criticizing anything or anyone I apologize.

Mandeep.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:12 AM Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mandeep,

We definitely need more folks to pitch in and write tests.  Only now are we getting to the point where tests would be helpful.  Earlier, significant changes could be made and would require re-writing a lot of tests.

So, if you and others can contribute tests, that would be great.

-Alex

Re: RoyaleStore broken with sdk 0.96

Turns out the styles are correct.

The breakage appears to be caused by the coercion code to “int” in EffectTimer.start().  The JavaScript Date.getTime() really returns a large number outside of the int range.

-Alex

From: Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 12:19 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Hmm, it is broken for me too.  In a quick look, it appears that the fx:Style block that brings in main.css is not working.  It appears that the main.css is not having any effect or isn’t in the output.  It is the end of my work day, so maybe someone else who had been in the compiler can take a look.  Otherwise I will try to look tomorrow.

-Alex

Re: RoyaleStore broken with sdk 0.96

Alex Harui-2

RoyaleStore will work better in the nightly.  The fonts are not quite right but haven’t been for a while.  Volunteers to tidy up the visuals are welcome.

Thanks for reporting it,

-Alex

From: Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

From: Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 12:19 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Hmm, it is broken for me too.  In a quick look, it appears that the fx:Style block that brings in main.css is not working.  It appears that the main.css is not having any effect or isn’t in the output.  It is the end of my work day, so maybe someone else who had been in the compiler can take a look.  Otherwise I will try to look tomorrow.

-Alex

Re: RoyaleStore broken with sdk 0.96

Mandeep Sarma
I tried using the nightly builds the main issue i saw is the same I observed previously the view states are not changing. If it helps here is the Moonshine console output:

: Compiling RoyaleStore
: Using Royale Compiler codebase: "D:\apache-royale-sdks\apache-royale-0.9.6-nightly-bin-js\royale-asjs"
: Using Royale SDK: "D:\apache-royale-sdks\apache-royale-0.9.6-nightly-bin-js\royale-asjs"
: MXMLJSC
: -sdk-js-lib=D:\apache-royale-sdks\apache-royale-0.9.6-nightly-bin-js\royale-asjs\frameworks\js\Royale\generated-sources
: -load-config+=obj/RoyaleStoreConfig.xml
: -compiler.targets=JSRoyale
: -js-output=D:\apache-royale-webprojects\RoyaleStore
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
: WARNING: D:/apache-royale-webprojects/RoyaleStore/bin/js-debug/productsView/ProductCart.js:219: WARNING - Parse error. extra visibility tag
:   * @private
:     ^
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
: WARNING: externs/dialogPolyfill.js:15: WARNING - accessing name dialogPolyfill in externs has no effect. Perhaps you forgot to add a var keyword?
: dialogPolyfill = function() {
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
: WARNING: externs/dialogPolyfill.js:15: WARNING - variable dialogPolyfill is undeclared
: dialogPolyfill = function() {
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
: WARNING: externs/dialogPolyfill.js:23: WARNING - name dialogPolyfill is not defined in the externs.
: dialogPolyfill.registerDialog = function(dialog) {
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
: WARNING: externs/hljs.js:19: WARNING - accessing name hljs in externs has no effect. Perhaps you forgot to add a var keyword?
: hljs = function() {
: ^^^^
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
: WARNING: externs/hljs.js:19: WARNING - variable hljs is undeclared
: hljs = function() {
: ^^^^
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
: WARNING: externs/hljs.js:27: WARNING - name hljs is not defined in the externs.
: hljs.highlightBlock = function(block) {
: ^^^^
: Aug 14, 2019 11:02:01 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager printSummary
: WARNING: 0 error(s), 7 warning(s), 97.6% typed
: The project 'RoyaleStore' has been successfully compiled and optimized.
: 23.145411 seconds
: Copying resource: assets
: Copying D:\apache-royale-webprojects\RoyaleStore\src\main\resources\assets complete
: Copying resource: data
: Copying D:\apache-royale-webprojects\RoyaleStore\src\main\resources\data complete
: Project Build Successfully.

From: Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

From: Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 12:19 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Hmm, it is broken for me too.  In a quick look, it appears that the fx:Style block that brings in main.css is not working.  It appears that the main.css is not having any effect or isn’t in the output.  It is the end of my work day, so maybe someone else who had been in the compiler can take a look.  Otherwise I will try to look tomorrow.

-Alex

Re: RoyaleStore broken with sdk 0.96

Alex Harui-2

Make sure you picked up the right changes.  Moonshine might have cached a SWC.  Don’t forget that you have to delete the contents of the bin/js-debug folder in order to pick up the changes.  Also the nightly build with the changes wasn’t built until about 10pm UTC.

Open bin/js-debug/org/apache/royale/utils/EffectTimer.js.  Look at the end of the start() method.  If it reads:

  return d.getTime();

Then that is the latest.  Prior to that it was something more like:

  return d.getTime() >> 0;

From: Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>