Static inheritance

Harbs
It seems like ES6 supports static inheritance. The means you can define a class with static methods which can be called in subclasses. You can also use “this” in static methods which will refer to the subclass methods if overridden. This is obviously something which doesn’t work in AS3.

 I’m porting an ES6 library to AS3 and I’m trying to figure out the best way to port this kind of code. I’m thinking that code duplication is probably simplest, although I might just convert the static classes into singletons.

Re: Static inheritance

Alex Harui-2
Harbs,

Can you provide a link to more info on how 'this' works in statics?  MDN makes it sound like it points to the global object even in ES6.

I saw an article that code duplication isn't a perfect emulation of ES6 statics in ES5.
https://www.bennadel.com/blog/3300-static-methods-are-inherited-when-using-es6-extends-syntax-in-javascript-and-node-js.htm

On 4/22/18, 11:46 PM, "Harbs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    It seems like ES6 supports static inheritance. The means you can define a class with static methods which can be called in subclasses. You can also use “this” in static methods which will refer to the subclass methods if overridden. This is obviously something which doesn’t work in AS3.

     I’m porting an ES6 library to AS3 and I’m trying to figure out the best way to port this kind of code. I’m thinking that code duplication is probably simplest, although I might just convert the static classes into singletons.

Re: Static inheritance

https://github.com/devongovett/fontkit/blob/master/src/opentype/shapers/DefaultShaper.js

UniversalShaper and ArabicShaper extend DefaultShaper. All methods are static and the classes are never instantiated. The static “plan” method in the base class calls the static methods in the subclasses using “this”.

I would not have guessed something like this would be possible, but Devon Govett makes very extensive use of ES6 features. I’ve learned quite a bit about ES6 just by reading his code… ;-)

Harbs

On Apr 23, 2018, at 8:25 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

What are the advantages of static over the singleton pattern?

-Alex

Re: Static inheritance

Alex Harui-2

Well, without a clear picture on how to emulate these ES6 static method features in ES5, you might have better luck porting to the Singleton pattern and avoid static method inheritance.

Also read this: https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/34485/what-is-the-difference-between-all-static-methods-and-applying-a-singleton-patte

My 2 cents,

-Alex