Why SWF support

hferreira
Why Apache Royale supports compile to SWF to support target Flash/AIR ?
Whats the point ?
Sorry if this question was answer before but I did not found.

I think that almost people (just not to mention everyone) will use JS SDK
only !

Re: Why SWF support

Harbs
Good question.

3 reasons:

1. Flash offers runtime type checking which helps catch bugs.
2. By keeping the SWF target, it forces development of the framework to be technology-agnostic as much as possible. This means that if we decide we want a native android or iOS target (for example), it will be much easier to implement.
3. There are those who will want an AIR target.

> On Nov 13, 2018, at 12:32 PM, hferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why Apache Royale supports compile to SWF to support target Flash/AIR ?
> Whats the point ?
> Sorry if this question was answer before but I did not found.
>
> I think that almost people (just not to mention everyone) will use JS SDK
> only !

> Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/

Re: Why SWF support

hferreira
1. Flash offers runtime type checking which helps catch bugs.
This means that I can target JS and quickly switch to SWF just for debug ?
Can't I debug now directly on VS Code + Royale JS ?
I saw something on twitter that currently it's possible to debug from JS but
I could be mistaken however seems that is specific for VS Code.

2. By keeping the SWF target, it forces development of the framework to be
technology-agnostic as much as possible. This means that if we decide we
want a native android or iOS target (for example), it will be much easier to
implement.
Do you mean, support both SWF and JS at the same time, keep the focus on
technology-agnostic and do not fall on JS specific things ?

3. There are those who will want an AIR target.
OK, perhaps.
For Flex and Flash there is not alternative besides AIR.
For Royale does not make sense "for me" with Eletron for Desktop and Cordova
for Mobile and the continuous fear about AIR future but different minds.

Any way, thank you for your answers.
On my case I will use JS only.

Re: Why SWF support

Harbs

> On Nov 13, 2018, at 1:02 PM, hferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1. Flash offers runtime type checking which helps catch bugs.
> This means that I can target JS and quickly switch to SWF just for debug ?

It depends. If your app relies on browser APIs, no. If it’s only Royale framework code, yes.

> Can't I debug now directly on VS Code + Royale JS ?
> I saw something on twitter that currently it's possible to debug from JS but
> I could be mistaken however seems that is specific for VS Code.

Yes. You can debug directly in VSCode (or your browser). The advantage of Flash is that it offers an extra layer of checking which can sometimes catch bugs which are difficult to spot otherwise.

> 2. By keeping the SWF target, it forces development of the framework to be
> technology-agnostic as much as possible. This means that if we decide we
> want a native android or iOS target (for example), it will be much easier to
> implement.
> Do you mean, support both SWF and JS at the same time, keep the focus on
> technology-agnostic and do not fall on JS specific things ?

It means that anything not inside a COMPILE::JS block does not rely (specifically) on browser technologies so we can theoretically target any rendering technology. This is the most compelling reason to me.

> 3. There are those who will want an AIR target.
> OK, perhaps.
> For Flex and Flash there is not alternative besides AIR.
> For Royale does not make sense "for me" with Eletron for Desktop and Cordova
> for Mobile and the continuous fear about AIR future but different minds.
>
> Any way, thank you for your answers.
> On my case I will use JS only.

> Sent from: http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/

Re: Why SWF support

hferreira
"This is the most compelling reason to me."
Yes, I agree.
Last decade was Flash, yesterday was AIR, today is JS but tomorrow could be
something else and it would be easier to target again new technology.