Why the namespace Adobe ?

hferreira
As the title said.
Why the namespace Adobe in:  http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009
Could not be updated to http://ns.apache.com/mxml/2018 ?

Re: Why the namespace Adobe ?

Carlos Rovira-2
That seems logical, but don't know about implications.
I think that if we already changed ns for other things, maybe should be ok to change this as well.
Maybe others could bring more light on this

thanks

Carlos

El jue., 15 nov. 2018 a las 23:04, hferreira (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
As the title said.
Why the namespace Adobe in:  http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009
Could not be updated to http://ns.apache.com/mxml/2018 ?

Re: Why the namespace Adobe ?

hferreira
My logic is:
1. Apache Royale already changed the namespaces of mx and spark, so there is
not reason to do do the same here;
2. It's seems that it's the last rest of piece of code (one line of code per
mxml) with reference to adobe;
3. We should get rid of adobe, flash, air, swf and swc from the project as
much as possible (not for me believe me and I don't have nothing against
flash/flex, on the
contrary, it's because of the negative around it);
4. For last but not least: 2008 it's old :P for a namespace on a new project
even if the specification didn't changed that could be weird change the
year.

Re: Why the namespace Adobe ?

Alex Harui-2
I honestly don't know what the implications are of changing it.  I don't know if it is like a Copyright, and I honestly don't want to go asking around Adobe about it right now.

We changed mx and spark because it isn't the same API, it is a subset/emulation.  I don't think we've changed the MXML APIs/spec.  But if we have or if we do someday, then it will make more sense to change it.

I would also wonder how many IDEs are expecting the MXML namespace.  Any IDE should be able to handle other namespaces for third-party libraries, but the MXML namespace might be special-cased.

I think we have bigger issues to tackle than this for right now, and I think we could change it later, especially if we do change something about MXML and a few more years pass and everyone is using newer IDEs that can handle the change.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C5952302404784d33de1f08d64bab2ed1%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636779595924810007&amp;sdata=rSNTseh6f4RhM6Twuej0zuoEkZm4mYDnJJTu%2BDOKta4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Why the namespace Adobe ?

hferreira
Thanks for the explanation.

Re: Why the namespace Adobe ?