building Royale

Carlos Cruz

I’m wondering if the name Royale was not named after the whisky Crown Royale, because surely Apache Royale is going to drive some users to drinking (maybe me) J ….. just to share my results. When I try to build with ant it fails because it can’t find AdobeAIRSDK.zip even though it’s in the download directory as can be seen in the screen shots below, the only thing I can think could cause a problem is I moved my download directory from the default drive c: to drive d:

Maven also fails when trying to build the framework as also shown in one of the screen shots.

Thx!

Carlos

As for building with Maven

Re: building Royale

As I remember you did download distribution package of Apache Royale framework which building projects to both SWF and JS. - This package probably need to be configured as you have started above using InstallAdobeSDKs.xml. You don't need to build framework itself, cause you already took build version [1]. If you are not interested in SWF use JS only package and forgot about configuration and use [1]. Package [1] can be used straight in your IDE and you can start create your application, starting for example as an excercise from building one of the available examples in downloaded framework.- examples\royale\

Choose one of the example and try to build it let's say by Maven: mvn clean install -s "path to settings-template.xml" - This is needed to tell from what place maven should download require parts (artifacts) - framework in order to build that example.

We have just released Moonshine IDE 1.6.1 [2] which has partial support for Royale - Tomorrow I will put an instruction how to open example and build it in Moonshine using package [1]. - In the mantime Maven is your alternative option.

Thanks, Piotr

I’m wondering if the name Royale was not named after the whisky Crown Royale, because surely Apache Royale is going to drive some users to drinking (maybe me) J ….. just to share my results. When I try to build with ant it fails because it can’t find AdobeAIRSDK.zip even though it’s in the download directory as can be seen in the screen shots below, the only thing I can think could cause a problem is I moved my download directory from the default drive c: to drive d:

Maven also fails when trying to build the framework as also shown in one of the screen shots.

Thx!

Carlos

As for building with Maven

Re: building Royale

to build with maven you must start with compiler:

git clone https://github.com/apache/royale-compiler.git royale-compiler
cd royale-compiler
git checkout develop
mvn -s settings-template.xml clean install -DskipTests
I did this few days ago with a clean maven repository and all goes perfect. I'm on Mac, but that should not be a difference.Please, let me know if this first step work for you in order to follow to the next. Also note that -DskipTests is important since test are still failing. If you get this working I promise the rest will be easy

I’m wondering if the name Royale was not named after the whisky Crown Royale, because surely Apache Royale is going to drive some users to drinking (maybe me) J ….. just to share my results. When I try to build with ant it fails because it can’t find AdobeAIRSDK.zip even though it’s in the download directory as can be seen in the screen shots below, the only thing I can think could cause a problem is I moved my download directory from the default drive c: to drive d:

Maven also fails when trying to build the framework as also shown in one of the screen shots.

Thx!

Carlos

As for building with Maven

Re: building Royale

Justin Mclean
Hi,

Note there are 3 repos you need to build not 2. We have instruction here on how to do it of the wiki [1].

However the instruction are not quite complete as the very first time you compile the royale-compiler repo you need to do this:
mvn clean install -P utils
mvn clean install

Not the utils line first. I think that this may be the issue you are running into to get the maven build working.

"-s settings-template.xml" is only needed if you haven’t set up Apache as servers in your maven settings.xml file.

   <server>
     <id>apache.releases.https</id>
   </server>
   <server>
     <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
   </server>

(You may need dummy username and password tags in the above)

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Build-Apache-Royale-with-Maven

Re: building Royale

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Justin,

just made the patch in wiki instructions you proposed. Is strange since I tried without the need to do "mvn clean install -P utils"
But Piotr pointed that as well. I should test this in a clean system and see what happen.
Anyway, with all the info I think now everyone could build with maven
Thanks for provide the solution!

Note there are 3 repos you need to build not 2. We have instruction here on how to do it of the wiki [1].

However the instruction are not quite complete as the very first time you compile the royale-compiler repo you need to do this:
mvn clean install -P utils
mvn clean install

Not the utils line first. I think that this may be the issue you are running into to get the maven build working.

"-s settings-template.xml" is only needed if you haven’t set up Apache as servers in your maven settings.xml file.

   <server>
     <id>apache.releases.https</id>
   </server>
   <server>
     <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
   </server>

(You may need dummy username and password tags in the above)

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Build-Apache-Royale-with-Maven

Re: building Royale

Justin Mclean
Hi,

> just made the patch in wiki instructions you proposed.

Thanks for that.

Justin

RE: building Royale

Carlos Cruz
I wanted to reply yesterday but I got busy.
In trying to follow the instruction from : https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Build-Apache-Royale-with-Maven

the maven build fails on step #6 Build the Framework (royale-asjs)

using "ant" I think the default task is  "all" it fails with the previously attached console output, and just building the sdk also fails with the error out put it can't find the air sdk zip in the downloads but as I exhibited the air sdk zip is there.

Thx!
Carlos

1. https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Build-Apache-Royale-with-Maven=

Re: building Royale

for maven, did you add to the maven instruction "-DskipTests"
Test are still failing due to migration not finished yet.

This

mvn -s settings-template.xml clean install -DskipTests
event this

mvn clean install -DskipTests
should work for you.

Alex is Working on renaming and fix the tests is included in that work

I wanted to reply yesterday but I got busy.
In trying to follow the instruction from : https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Build-Apache-Royale-with-Maven

the maven build fails on step #6 Build the Framework (royale-asjs)

using "ant" I think the default task is  "all" it fails with the previously attached console output, and just building the sdk also fails with the error out put it can't find the air sdk zip in the downloads but as I exhibited the air sdk zip is there.

Thx!
Carlos

RE: building Royale

Carlos Cruz

Hi;

Today I was able to build the Royale Framework (royale-asjs) and I was able to build the Royale SDK with C:\royale-asjs>mvn -s settings-template.xml -DdistributionTargetFolder=c:\royale_sdk-0.9.0 -P build-distribution clean install (-DskipTests)

* I tried with and without –DskipTests

When I try to add the Royale SDK to Flash Builder 4.7 as per https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Flash-Builder-4.7

I get a Flex 2 is not supported….

Thx!

Carlos

Re: building Royale

Piotr Zarzycki

Carlos,

I'm not sure whether Maven distribution package is supported in Flash Builder. For sure it is working in Moonshine and VSCode. People who are using VSCode can provide you guidance how to use it cause it os not yet officially support Royale. In case of Moonshine there is an instruction here [1]

[1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Moonshine-IDE

Thanks, Piotr

image001.png (13K) Download Attachment
image001.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: building Royale

Carlos, thanks for report that you finaly get a successful build with maven. One thing that is not clear in your mail is if you need -DskipTests, I assume that without that build fails.

About IDE: Peter made a wiki page for Flash Builder:

As I'm not a FB user can say if works for maven distribution, but I think it should since it must be a valid SDK.

Maybe Peter could say something here

[...]

Actually no… yesterday I built Royale twice (just for fun, perhaps too much Crown Royal) the first time without “-DskipTests” build was successful. 2nd time with “-DskipTests” the build was also successful. I just assumed changes had been made or the underworld gods of software are amusing themselves at my expense, because there were no changes made to my notebook’s system.

I will check again, but that was the guide I was using, FB 4.7 gives me the error “Flex 2 not supported….”

Thx!

Carlos