web app to mobile air conversion advise

Carlos Cruz

I have a small team converting some Flex web applications to AIR desktop and mobile (for now just Android) the central idea of how the web app works is 1 Application loads the other applications as modules (ie contact manager, calendar, etc.) dynamically adding the loaded modules to a custom menu, making several applications look like 1 modular application. Any suggestions how this could be replicated from the users perspective on Android?  Alternatively calling and exchanging data from one application to another.

All the information I’ve been able to find is quite old, so if anyone can point me to more current relevant information or any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thx!

Re: web app to mobile air conversion advise

Alex Harui-2

HI Carlos,

If your target is AIR, this might be a better question for the [hidden email] mailing list, unless you are really asking about eventually converting your web app to Royale.

FWIW, IMO, Flex web apps with modules are designed to optimize download and startup of the application by deferring loading of parts of the app.  But in an AIR app, since it has to be installed, there is less advantage to deferring loading of the code.  Some folks still do it in order to ‘auto-update’ the modules.

So, if you don’t need the ‘auto-update’, you can just put all module SWFs into the application folder before packaging.  If you need to load a module over the network at runtime, ModuleLoader should still work.

From: Carlos Cruz <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: web app to mobile air conversion advise

I have a small team converting some Flex web applications to AIR desktop and mobile (for now just Android) the central idea of how the web app works is 1 Application loads the other applications as modules (ie contact manager, calendar, etc.) dynamically adding the loaded modules to a custom menu, making several applications look like 1 modular application. Any suggestions how this could be replicated from the users perspective on Android?  Alternatively calling and exchanging data from one application to another.

All the information I’ve been able to find is quite old, so if anyone can point me to more current relevant information or any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thx!

RE: web app to mobile air conversion advise

Carlos Cruz

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your input, for now, for some end user general consumer applications I do also plan to develop a Royale version.

I’ve been reading that ModuleLoader will not work with AIR Mobile, to confirm are you suggesting ModuleLoader will work with AIR for mobile devices ? (if it does it would save me a lot of work)

From: Carlos Cruz <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

I have a small team converting some Flex web applications to AIR desktop and mobile (for now just Android) the central idea of how the web app works is 1 Application loads the other applications as modules (ie contact manager, calendar, etc.) dynamically adding the loaded modules to a custom menu, making several applications look like 1 modular application. Any suggestions how this could be replicated from the users perspective on Android?  Alternatively calling and exchanging data from one application to another.

All the information I’ve been able to find is quite old, so if anyone can point me to more current relevant information or any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thx!

Re: web app to mobile air conversion advise

I think the key aspect for ModuleLoader is the security context/domain.  Packaging might also pose some issues on Mobile.  Post some links to articles that describe the issue on AIR Mobile.  I would be a bit surprised if Android blocked the AIR runtime from reading a SWF (although early IOS did), but if you can find a way to get the module SWFs into the application directory or a subdirectory of it, then AIR should be able to load it.

There are ways to use URLLoader to load the module SWF bytes over the network.  Not sure if they are blocked on AIR Mobile or not.  Here is a link to one old article about it:

https://medium.com/aaronhardy/loading-a-remote-module-into-a-local-app-148963467a47

From: Carlos Cruz <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>